Monday, April 21, 2008

.good grindz brah.




When we lived in Hawaii, we would often make the trip up to Laie to go to the temple or to take company to the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) when they were on the islands visiting. On our way, we would always stop in Kahuku at Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck to have lunch. They only serve shrimp with rice and it's like... $14 for 10 shrimp. Insanely expensive but the shrimp are jumbo and well worth the cost.



You can either get it scampi style, or hot. One time when my folks were visiting us, Jim decided to have the hot shrimp. I wish I had a picture of his face while he was attempting to eat these. Keyword: attempt. LOL I think he ate all of our rice to temper the flames coming out of his mouth, nose, and ears. Those suckers were HOT HOT HOT!!! Anyway.... I tried a couple variations of shrimp scampi until I came up with this one which is pretty close to Giovannis. It's enough to bring back memories of lazy beach days. Those were some good times.



Sometimes if I find a great deal on jumbo shrimp I will buy and use those. Most times though, I use what I have in the freezer. Size 50/70, which aren't small, but not big either.



Let's start with garlic. We're talking lots of garlic, which pleases my husband. He eats, breathes, and sleeps garlic. If I weren't so pretty, I think he might leave me for it. HA!



Okay, maybe not... The recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons. I put in about 1/4 cup.

Pull cloves of garlic from the bulb. Peel off any of the dry layers and discard.










The easy way to peel garlic is to use the side of a butcher's knife and smash them. This will crack open the peel, making it easy to just pull off.









Here's the smashed garlic.











Use the side of the blade again and smash the peeled cloves. Then start mincing.










Thaw your shrimp (approx 1 1/2 to 2 lbs) by running under cold water. If you use fresh shrimp, rinse well. Peel and devein. I buy the kind of shrimp that has all of that done because I've had to do it before and it is a total pain in the butt! Not a task I would give to my worst enemy.

Here are the other ingredients:











2+ Tbsp Garlic (obviously)
1/4 c. Parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese



And now the wet ingredients:










2 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Tbsp White wine

And the star of the show?













Butter.

1/2 cup of it. ;)









In a bowl, put 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 2 Tbsp white wine.

You want to have all of this ready because cooking the shrimp goes really fast and you won't have time to prep anything.














Heat your skillet over medium high heat. You want the pan to smoke. Put in 2 Tbsp olive oil and all of the butter. Melt the butter completely.















Add the garlic and sautee for about 30 seconds. Don't let it burn!

If you want your scampi spicy, add the red pepper flakes with the garlic (about 1 Tbsp).







Add the lemon juice/wine and bring to temp.











Add the shrimp.











Cook until the shrimp are pink and curl up.

Don't let them go too long or else they'll be tough.















Add some chopped parsley. Stir in.

Pour the shrimp into a bowl and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. You can use fresh or the kind in the canister. Since I used all of my fresh up on the pasta from last night, I used this.








Serve the scampi over rice and with your favorite veggie.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_41mtss5wg4

5 comments:

Wendy said...

This looks delicious! Could you please give amounts for the shrimp, parmesan cheese, parsley and butter? Thanks!

squillen said...

I added the amounts to the entry. I also put the printable version that has it all on there!

Suzanne

Miki said...

Mmmm these look so yummy! Thanks for the printable version of this...makes printing easier. I'm trying your Italian Beef tonight, so I'll make sure to come back & rate it. I can't wait to try it!

Janet O. said...

Have you tried the trick of putting the unpeeled cloves into a metal bowl, covering with another metal bowl and shaking vigorously? The peels fall right off. It's kind of fun. lol

Aminah said...

YUM! Got great reviews last night. Thanks!