Monday, January 14, 2008

.chook on the barbie.


Years ago I got this recipe from my sister, Ronda. If you've ever eaten at Outback and had their Alice Springs Chicken, you'll know how yummy it is. Marinated chicken breast grilled on the barbie, topped with sauteed mushrooms, bacon and cheese. Can you ask for a more heavenly combo? This is a mocked up recipe that we all love. I know you'll love it too. If you don't like mushrooms, leave them off... but trust me... you'll want them on! Go on. Be brave!

SHOPPING LIST:
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Bacon
  • Mushrooms (I bought pre-sliced to save time)
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Dijon mustard
  • Honey
  • Liquid smoke (found near the bbq sauce in your grocery store)
  • Lemon juice
This morning I whipped up my marinade and put it in a ziploc with my breasts... (chicken breasts.. not MY breasts).
MARINADE
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
a couple shakes liquid smoke
Let this marinate in the fridge all day. If you want to marinate it overnight, even better! The longer this sauce soaks into the chicken the more flavor it will have.



If you don't have a bbq grill, you could probably fry your chicken up in a pan, but it won't have the same flavor. I really recommend you grill your chicken on the bbq grill.

Preheat your grill.

While it's heating, fry up the bacon. Set aside. Then saute as many mushrooms as you want. Grate some cheddar cheese.

Put your chicken on the grill and sear each side for 3 minutes. Lower the heat/flame and lower the lid. Allow to cook until chicken, when pushed in the center is no longer spongy, but firm. If it's HARD, your chicken will be too done and will probably be very dry. You don't want that. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to cut your chicken to test it. This will make all the juices leak out and you'll be left with chicken cardboard. I repeat... push the fattest part of the chicken breast and if it's firm, it's done.


Put the cooked chicken in a baking dish and top with some slices of bacon, the sauteed mushrooms, and some cheddar cheese. Put the baking dish in a 350* oven until the cheese has melted completely.


This is what it will look like. We like to serve this dish with baked potatoes and salad. To time it just right so everything is done at the same time. Put your potatoes in a 400* oven half hour before you turn on the bbq grill. While the cheese is melting, I throw together the salad. Perfect!
Printable version:

2 comments:

linda said...

this is one of my favorite dishes from outback.. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.. I am putting this on our menu for next week..

Ronda said...

This is the BEST! My husbands absolute favorite dinner. Great job on the recipe and the photo's Suzanne! I love your site! It's very inspiring. I am giving out your blog address to my friends. Love you little sister!