Tuesday, July 22, 2008

.blueberry crisp.


I love blueberries. There's a blueberry farm in the next town over and I've been dying to get over there. Sadly, it seems whenever I could go, the weather was just lousy and there's no way I could take the baby in the rain... so I wound up buying these from the store. They had these huge containers for sale and I couldn't resist picking up one to make this.



Crisps are always so quick and easy to make because they don't require a pie crust. So for all you "pie crust phobics", this is right up your alley!



Put about 4 cups blueberries in a bowl. You can use frozen if you don't have fresh.



Add to the bowl:
1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Mix well and set aside.



In another bowl, put 2/3 c. flour, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 2/3 c. chopped toasted pecans (optional), and 1/2 c. oatmeal.



Break in 4 Tbsp butter and use a pastry blender or your hands to cut the butter into the dry ingredients.



You want it to be nice and crumbly.



Take the other half of the cube of butter and rub it all over the bottom and sides of your baking dish.



Remove the stick and put in a ziploc to use on something else later.
(I know what you're thinking.. "she's going to use that WHOLE piece to grease the dish????")



Zest one lemon.



Dump the blueberries in the baking dish and then sprinkle the zest all over the top. This will give the blueberries a wonderful tart flavor.



Sprinkle on the crumb topping.



Make sure the whole top is covered with the topping.



Put in a 350* for about an hour.



The top will be nice and golden and the blueberries will be bubbly on the edges when it's all done.

Serve warm with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_81d8gtrgdw

6 comments:

Joanne Brown said...

This looks delish! (as always!). We don't call them 'crisps' over here - we call them crumbles! And I love how much simpler they are to make than pies! One of my favorite crumbles is rhubarb. Yummy!!

heidigoseek said...

This looks so yummy! I love the berries and have been devouring them for at least a month:)

shabbyrose said...

Thank you so much for creating a blog with recipes that are creative yet simple! The cooking shows on television just go too fast for me. With your blog I can see step by step how it should look. The blueberr crisp is to die. Would you mind if put a link to your blog in my blog? I've just started mine and need to jazz it up a little and yours is one of the best! check mine out if you have the opportunity
https://sheilahb.blogspt.com
The Empty Nester

Stephanie said...

yum! Alan would love this and with fresh wild blueberries in season right now, I think we might have to try it! thanks

Chris Dodaj said...

We are making this tonight to go with our shangai garlic noodles which, btw have become a family favorite.

Thanks for always posting such awesome recipes, you rock!

Melissa said...

I love making your recipes. I bought a ton of blueberries without anything particular in mind and tried this recipe. Very delicious! I served with homemade whipping cream and it was fantastic!