Saturday, March 1, 2008

.smashed potatoes.

I really like smashed potatoes. They're different than regular mashed potatoes because I use red potatoes (new potatoes) and leave the skins on. I also add sour cream, bacon, garlic, and cheese. Yum! Yum!

First I cut up my potatoes (obviously). Add enough water to cover the potatoes completely. Add some salt. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid. Reduce heat a little and then cook til fork tender.

Dump into a colander and let drain completely. You don't want any water in your potatoes because it will leave you with really runny mashed potatoes. Nobody likes runny potatoes.











Cut up some bacon into pieces.











Throw that sliced bacon into a skillet and fry up. When it's almost done, add some minced garlic and cook that up.

Dump bacon onto paper towels to soak up that grease.






Mash your potatoes with a masher. Add a little heated milk and melted butter (you want to add warm ingredients otherwise it will change the consistency of your potatoes). Then add in a little sour cream (about 1/4 cup).

Here's where it gets fun!





Dump in your bacon and garlic, and some grated cheese. Add salt and pepper.










Mix everything together. This can easily be transferred into an oven safe dish and held in the oven for a little bit. I threw mine in the oven for 10 minutes while I was waiting for the fried chicken to finish. I made a little well in the middle and plopped in 1/2 a cube of butter. It came out all ooey and gooey and buttery. So delicious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great Suzanne! The potatoes are making me hungry! I love the cake, too. I think its perfectly adorable :) Gum paste is fun to work with. I love creating all sorts of things to decorate cakes and cupcakes!
-Heidi

Darleen said...

Oh Suzanne, you are in so much trouble!! I was talking to a co-worker today and she loves to cook so I showed her your blog and she printed out a ton of your recipes, actually 2 each (I accidentally hit the print button twice) and so I took the 2nd copy. Looking @ these stinken potatoes all day, I really wanted them, so I ran by Publix on my way home and came home and made them. OMG!!! They are delish!!! I feel like I am going to pop!! My fam loves them too. Thanks for sharing!! I will be trying more, and this comes from the girl who isn't a big "made from scratch" kind of girl!!

Regan said...

I made these last night with Yukon gold potatoes. My family LOVED them! I thought my 5yo would balk at the skins being left on, but after making one comment about how silly I was to forget to peel them, she ate it up! She actually liked when I told her the skins were the healthy part. I used pre-cooked (recipe size) bacon pieces, but it turned out just great. Thanks for the idea and instructions!