Sunday, June 8, 2008

.apple, bacon, and cheddar quiche.


I like quiche. Jim likes it too. Who says real men don't eat quiche? Whoever said that has no clue what they're talking about.
I feel like my life has slowly spun out of control. Last weekend I had the wedding. This weekend we had a yard sale. And this week and next weekend we're putting hardwood floors in our kitchen and entryway. I. am. insane.

Did I mention I am helping with a luncheon at church this Tuesday and planning a baby shower for a girlfriend? Mmm hmm. Out. of. control!!!!!

Since we were busy with the yard sale this weekend, I didn't have a ton of energy to fix fussy meals. Quiche is a great dish because it's not difficult to whip up.

If you're afraid of making your own crust, go on and buy them frozen or whatever. I can't stand them because the taste is "off" for me, but I understand that not everyone is confident making their own.

I, however, do make my crusts from scratch. Been doing it for so long now, I can get one whipped out in 5 minutes. In fact, over Christmas, my parents were here visiting and had to run to the drug store. In the time they were gone (approx. 1/2 hr), I made an apple pie and had it in the oven, cleaned up my mess, and started the dough for the rolls. Suffice it to say, the master pie baker (my dad) was impressed. :

For a single pie crust, I use:
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening or butter
ice water

Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until nice and crumbly. Spoon in some ice water and fluff with a fork until the dough starts pulling together. Use ice water so it keeps the dough cold. Cold dough=flaky crust.



Roll out and put in a deep dish pie plate. Trim edges and tuck under.










Crimp the edges.











In a bowl, crack open one dozen eggs. Slightly mix with fork. Don't overmix, because it will break down the protein.









Add 1/4 cup milk. (I eyeball it.)











Cut up about 4-5 strips of bacon and fry. I keep my bacon frozen because it makes it easier to chop. But it's virtually impossible to pull the slices apart, so I just cut strips off.








Grate a cup or two of cheddar cheese.











Peel, core, and dice one granny smith apple.



I know what you're thinking. Bacon, cheese AND apple??? It really pairs well. It adds a little sweetness and texture to the quiche. It's quite wonderful.




Season the egg/milk with some salt and pepper, and garlic powder (1 tsp).










Add all of the cooked bacon, grated cheese, and diced apple. Mix in with a fork.










Pour the egg into the pie shell.
Put in a 325* oven and bake for an hour or until the center is completely set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.








The edges of the crust will be nice and golden and the top will be browned nicely. It will also be slightly puffed up when it's done. Slice up and eat warm with some fresh fruit. Absolutely scrumptious!!

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_65hrhk9kf8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Suzanne,
OH MY STARS!! Had I known that I could read a blog with your recipes on it, I would have been reading for years!!! Your babies are beautiful and I miss you very very much! Is Georgia backwards, or what? But I love it!
Take Care! I'll be reading!
Love,
Belinda Draper

snbjork said...

I also made this quiche Friday night for the missionaries and family. It was so delicious. I really enjoyed the flavor combination. I just used a store-bought crust because I'm lazy.

Thank you for the wonderful recipes and pictures!

~Suzanne~