Thursday, August 28, 2008

Oofdah!



I realized a week or so ago that I am not horribly diverse in my food. I really like German food, but don't make it often enough. Growing up, my mom used to make german spiced cabbage all the time. It's something I think all of us kids love and the only time I ever get it is when I go home. The reason why? Jim doesn't like it. I made it once and he pretty much turned his nose up at it. How dare he! lol

Well, it has been awhile since I made it and thought I would give him another chance in liking it. I decided to make a whole german meal so he would have *something* to eat. This entry will contain all three recipes. I made wiener schnitzel and spaetzle with this and served cooked carrots on the side (gotta get those veggies in somewhere!).

The cabbage is very easy and fast. Let me show you how.


Thinly slice some red cabbage. Since there are only three eating in our home, I used half a head. Make more if you have more mouths to feed.


In a small bowl, put 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp allspice, and 1 tsp salt.


Put the cabbage in a pan over medium heat and add the spices.


Add 1/2 cup brown sugar.


And add 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.


Cut up some kielbasa and put in the pan. Cover with a lid and let steam for about 20 minutes.

While that steams, let's make the spaetzle.


This recipe didn't make a lot. It was enough for three of us, so double if you need more.

In a bowl, put 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Mix up.


Make a well in the center and pour into the middle 1/4 cup milk.


And 2 eggs.


Use your fingers to mix everything together. Work in a circular motion until the dough pulls together.


It will be thick enough to coat your fingers. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.


Bring some water to a boil. Add some salt.


You're going to need a colander with wide holes. This is a colander I got for my wedding and have used it before to make spaetzel. They also sell something called a spaetzel hex. A special little gizmo to make perfect noodles. I highly suggest using that instead of this because it will go a lot faster.


Dump your batter in and use a spatula to press the batter through the holes into the boiling water.


Let them cook in the water for a few minutes.


Drain well.


Return to the pot and add a couple pats of butter and some finely chopped chives. Stir well and set aside.

Finally, let's make the wiener schnitzel!


Season your veal well. If you buy veal chops, you'll need to pound them with a mallet to flatten. I bought veal that was already sliced thin so I didn't need to do that step.


Coat with flour.


Dip in some egg.

Coat with some breadcrumbs.


Heat a little oil in a skillet over medium heat.

Fry on both sides until golden brown. Since these are thin, they don't need to fry that long so make sure you don't let them go forever.


Just before serving, squeeze some lemon on top.


There you have it! A german fest to make anyone happy. Making all three of these dishes wasn't difficult. I had it all made within an hour. So if you're looking for something new to make for your family tonight... try this! Enjoy!

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_108q4mxkkhs

2 comments:

cindyMN said...

LOL..I had to think about your post header..do you mean UFFDA?? and that's norwegian girl!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Squillen, this looks soooo good. Are you gonna add the printable recipe for all? Please......Thanks, Mamadog