Sunday, January 13, 2008

.comfort food part 2.


I decided to make a fresh entry with the pot roast recipe because there are a lot of pictures and steps and hated the thought of you guys reading on and on and on.

I have to admit that I used to really struggle with pot roast. It was never awesome. I finally tried a combination at the suggestion of a friend and it is now really good and we love it. I cook mine in the oven, but this recipe can be converted for a crock pot.

Shopping List:
  • 5 lb chuck roast
  • Yukon gold potatoes
  • baby carrots
  • pearl onions
  • 1 can french onion soup
  • 1 bottle beer

Peel and half the potatoes. Peel the pearl onions. (NOTE: To peel pearl onions, dump into a pot of boiling water and let cook 3 minutes. Remove by using a serrated spoon and immediately put in a bowl of ice water. This is called blanching and the reason for the ice water is to stop the cooking. Use a paring knife and slice off the root end, then squeeze gently the onion and the center will come out of the dried onion layer.)


In a pie plate, put 1 1/2 cups flour, 4-5 Tbsp Seasoning Salt, and 2 tsp thyme. Mix up and coat the roast on all sides.

Put 1/4 stick butter and about 2 Tbsp Crisco in a skillet (or dutch oven if you have one). Saute your carrots for a few minutes then remove and set aside, then saute potatoes on all sides, remove and set aside when done...then sear the roast on all sides. This will lock in the juices.


Put the seared roast in a baking dish. Put carrots, potatoes, pearl onions, and 3 cloves garlic in. Pour the can of soup and bottle of beer on top. Salt and pepper generously. (NOTE: I don't drink alcohol so I don't know what beer is good, but my husband picked up Killian Red and given the price, it better be the best out there. )

Cover the dish with foil and bake for 2 1/2 hours at 350*. What you wind up with is a delicious, moist roast with perfectly tender vegetables on the side. I ladle some of the broth over my meat and potatoes. Yummy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, struggled with getting a moist pot roast. This recipe is the best (and I have tried quite a few). I am sure you will be replacing your recipe with this one. It is so good!

Anonymous said...

can you put this in the crock pot and cook?? I am just wondering. :)