Wednesday, May 7, 2008

.wild rice soup.




Since I've put off the contest to the end of the week, I will still post a recipe.


Last night we had the Bishop from church over for dinner. I feel like I've been horking all sorts of bad things this week so I made salad, soup, and rolls.



Elizabeth, you're going to love me because I know how much you love this soup! My friend Elizabeth, who frequents this blog would always come get a bowl of Wild Rice Soup when I had the bakery but noooo she had to move away. :( It's her favorite. ;) Love you Elizabeth!!! Miss you!!!



Dice 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, and a few stalks of celery.










Grate 1 cup carrots. There are a lot of carrots here. I needed more for the carrot cake. So unless you are making carrot cake like me, don't grate this many. ;)









Heat 3 Tbsp butter in a soup pot over medium high. Throw in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sautee for a few minutes.









You want one box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice ORIGINAL recipe.










Dump the rice into the pot. Put the seasoning packet off to the side. You'll need that in a minute.










Cut up 1/2 lb ham (about 1 1/2 cups), and 1 1/2 cups turkey. I get my ham and turkey from the deli counter and have them cut it a little thicker than sandwich slices.








After the rice has cooked for a minute, add 5 cups chicken stock (3-4 cans). The rice absorbs a lot of the liquid so you want to make sure you have enough so you have liquid in your bowl when it comes time to eat it!



Kick the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low.



Add the cut up meat.











Remember that seasoning packet that came with the rice? Add about 1 1/2 Tbsp to the soup. Don't add the whole packet. It throws the whole flavor off. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

Simmer for about half hour before serving.

To serve: Ladle soup into your bowl. Add a little half and half to your bowl to make it creamy.


Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_50zprm3ncc

4 comments:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Oh, that looks good, and it's gotta be one of the easiest wild rice soup recipes I've ever seen!

Joanne Brown said...

I'll be putting those ingredients on my shopping list for next week, for sure!! That sounds so delicious. You can't beat a good soup! Joanne x

Anonymous said...

This looked so good and since I had dental work done today I thought it would be easy on my poor teeth. I made this for lunch and it was delicous! Definetely something I will make again and agin!

Michelle said...

I make the same soup but add a block of cream cheese and big chunks of broccoli and will toss in left over chicken.