Tuesday, January 22, 2008

.sausage and zucchini tortellini casserole.

When I was 19, I lived with my older sister, Ronda. This was a dish she used to make and I absolutely love it. It is pretty easy to make yet is quite a show-stopper dish that will easily impress your friends. They don't need to know how easy it is, right? It'll be our little secret.

My husband is not a very big veggie eater. I have learned to camoflauge veggies in dishes that he will eat so I know he is getting his nutrients. He actually loves the zucchini in this so if you have skeptics in your home, let them try it first before casting judgement!

Shopping List:

  • Mild italian sausage
  • Onion
  • Zucchini
  • Tortellini (fresh from the deli)(2)
  • Alfredo sauce (2)
  • Garlic
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Bacon
  • Caesar croutons
  • Caesar dressing
  • Romaine
First, break apart the sausage into a skillet and fry. When it's halfway done, add one diced onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, and zucchini cut in half and sliced.








This is how you want to slice the zucchini!











You don't want to overcook the zucchini, because this dish will go in the oven for a little while and you don't want it to turn to mush. So cook only until the sausage is no longer pink.








This is the type of tortellini I buy. These packs hardly had any pasta in them and I am MAD! I will have to remember to pick up family sized packs next time I'm in at Costco.

Boil your tortellini in salt water as directed on the package. When it's done, drain thoroughly. Dump into a 9x13 casserole dish. Dump your sausage/zucchini/onion mix on top of the pasta and stir gently to mix.



When I'm in a hurry and don't have time to make my own alfredo sauce, I pick up the fresh stuff that is usually right next to the pasta (above). BUT, the commissary was out of it, so I substituted using this Classico Four Cheese alfredo. We'll see if it's any good. Honestly, any alfredo sauce will work well, but I like to use the expensive good stuff because it has the best flavor. That's my opinion though. You go with whatever you want!

Pour the alfredo sauce on top of the pasta and meat and zucchini. Mix up a little. Grate some fresh parmesan cheese on top.








At this stage, this dish can be covered and put in the fridge until later. Bake in a 350* oven until it's nice and bubbly. Serve with caesar salads and french bread. (See recipe below for caesar salads)















This is very easy to put together.

Chop one head of romaine.
Fry up some bacon, drain the fat and cool.
Grate some fresh parmesan cheese.
Toss in caesar croutons.
Use your favorite caesar dressing. My absolute favorite is
Great Caesar salad dressing by Johnny Foods. It's impossible to find out east but I usually pick up a bottle or two when I'm in Seattle visiting my family. I've even been known to order big bottles of the stuff online. Yes.. I love this dressing *that* much!

Mix everything together. Put some fresh ground black pepper on top, mix again and serve!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey there!! I'm so excited that I have hit the jackpot of new yummy recipes!!! It was great to see you while we were home. Perry is soooo stinkin' cute! We'll have to keep in touch this way. My site is www.elizabethtongi.blogspot.com ......so check it out when you get a chance. Of course most of it is just pictures of my kids b/c I'm not a cool cook like you with lots of recipes to share. Enjoy anyways!!!

Anonymous said...

Great new blog. Beautiful kiddos. Wanted to chat with you about cookie club---please email me funjunk3@gmail.com

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

This was really delish--one suggestion--please (for people like me who can't guess at things like this) please, put amounts of each--how many/lbs of sausage? How much pasta (bags come in different sizes)? Thanks!