Friday, August 8, 2008

.pineapple-mango upside-down cake.



I was watching Easy Entertaining on the Food Network the other day and the host was making this. I love pineapple upside down cake AND I love mango. I knew this was something I would have to make really soon. SO I decided to make this dessert for Jim's birthday the other night. I feel like I stepped back into the 70's with this one! The vinegar used in this recipe gives the cake and fruit a wonderful flavor. A hint of bitterness to balance all the sweetness from the fruit and syrup. If you're feeling extra indulgent, serve with a little whipped cream on top!


Dice half of one mango. I went ahead and diced the whole thing because I'm using the other half for the jerk chicken salad I'm making tonight for dinner.


Peel, slice, and core a fresh pineapple. You really only need about 4-6 rings. I diced the rest of the pineapple up for the salad I'm making tonight too. Man I can't wait! Anyway... you can used canned if you really don't want to use fresh. Fresh is *way* better though!


Chop up macadamia nuts. I went a little "nuts" and did the whole bottle. You only need 1/3 cup. I bagged the rest to use in cookies at a later time. :)


Butter a 9" round pan. Coat with sugar. This will keep the cake from sticking.


Now to make the sauce. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan.


When it's all melted and starts to turn a little brown, remove from the heat and add 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar. It will bubble and bubble when you add this.


Then add 1/2 cup packed brown sugar.


Whisk until the brown sugar has dissolved entirely. If you need to return it to the heat to make sure it's all melted, go ahead.


Pour half of the syrup into the cake pan. Tilt it to spread it around as best as possible.


Lay down your pineapple rings.


Sprinkle the diced mango on top.


Pour on the rest of the syrup and then sprinkle the macadamia nuts all over the top. Now to make the batter.


In a bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt.


Using your mixer, cream 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter until there are no lumps.


Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat on high until it's nice and fluffy. Scrapping sides as necessary.

Separate two eggs.


Put the yolks in while the mixer is on high, one at a time. Beat well between each addition. The batter should continue getting airier.


Add a little of the flour mixture to the bowl.


Then add some of the milk (you're going to need 1 cup milk).

Alternate adding the dry and wet until it's all incorporated. Don't overbeat this mixture.


This is how nice and light the batter will be. Very reminiscent of a sponge cake. Very airy!


Whisk the two egg whites until soft peaks form.


Fold into the cake batter only until incorporated. Remember.. don't overmix!


Pour the batter on top of the fruit in the pan and put into a preheated 350* oven. Bake for 50 minutes.


The cake is ready when the top is beautifully golden and slightly cracking.

Let sit for 10 minutes.


Run a knife along the edge then put a deep dish plate or platter on top.


Flip it over to release the cake from the pan.

No comments: