Wednesday, June 4, 2008

.almond breaded chicken.

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated in almost a WEEK! I helped a friend put on a wedding for her daughter Saturday and I have been so busy. And to top it off, I'm having a yard sale this weekend and have been cleaning and purging. I went to update last night and the stupid pictures wouldn't upload. GRR! So I've had a crazy week. Did you miss me?
This is a wonderful recipe that is part of the collection my mom put in the family cookbook. It is very easy to make and doesn't take a whole lot of time either. Serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce, and top with toasted almonds and gravy. Yummy!



First we want to start out with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You want to put this between two sheets of saran or parchment paper. Use a mallet or heavy saucepan (I used my heavy silicon rolling pin) and beat the crud out of that little piece of meat. LOL You want to flatten it just a bit. Don't go too crazy or else you'll tear up the flesh.





Put some flour in a bowl.
In another bowl, put 1 egg and beat it.










In another bowl, put some panko bread crumbs.
Panko is breadcrumbs made without the crusts. You get a nice crispy breading when you use this. Yummy!








Dredge your chicken first in the flour.











Then in the egg.











And then in the Panko.











Put the chicken in a wok of oil heated to 350*. Cook until both sides are nice and golden brown. Remove from the oil and let sit on paper towels to drain out any remaining oil.








Finely shred some iceberg lettuce.











Put it down in a layer on the bottom of a serving dish.
Slice the chicken breasts at a slight angle and arrange on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds. In my picture I used slivered almonds because I didn't have sliced on hand.






We need to make the gravy. In a saucepan, put:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp Mirin
1 Tbsp soy sauce

While whisking, bring to a boil and let thicken. Set this off to the side. When plating, put some chicken with a little of the lettuce on your plate. Then spoon some of the gravy on top. Delicious!!

4 comments:

heidigoseek said...

Welcome back!
We've missed you :) Hope the wedding went well. This looks really yummy!

Unknown said...

Oooh! Looks Yummy! I am going to have to try it this week!

Shirley said...

love, love, love the pictures of the girls in the matching outfits!

Anonymous said...

LUV U SYMPHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Karen