Sunday, August 17, 2008

.goldenrod eggs.



When I married my husband, I learned there were certain foods that he grew up with, that I needed to learn to make and incorporate into my repertoire.. as limited as it was back then. One such dish was a breakfast meal of hard boiled eggs, white sauce, and toast. I'm not a big fan of hard boiled eggs, so we don't have this very often.

But last weekend I was feeling bad for being a neglectful wife and thought he would really enjoy this. Come to find out my oldest daughter really REALLY loved this. So I'm sure I'll have to make it more often now. LOL


Put some eggs in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and turn the burner off. Let sit there for 10 minutes. Drain and then put under a cold tap. You need to cool these down enough to cut up.


Peel the eggs then cut out the yolk centers. Put the centers in a bowl or plate.


Chop up the egg whites.


Mash up the egg yolks with a fork. You don't want them too smooshed. You want them fluffy.


In a saucepan, put 1/4 cup butter. Melt.


Add 1/4 cup flour and stir in. Keep stirring with a whisk while the flour cooks into the butter. This is called a roux (pronounced "roo")


After the flour cooks for about 3 minutes, add 2 cups milk. Make sure you whisk while you add or else you could end up with a lumpy sauce and we can't have that!


Season well with salt and pepper.


Keep cooking over medium to medium high heat, stirring constantly until it becomes thick. Not *too* thick, but thick enough to coat a spoon or the blades of the whisk.


Add the chopped egg whites and mix in.


Pop some bread in the toaster.

Now you can leave your bread in whole slices, or you can break it up like we do.

Ladle some of the white sauce over the top.

Sprinkle some egg yolk over the top.

Serve immediately!

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_89frnj89df

4 comments:

heidigoseek said...

We think a lot alike. I have been craving eggs and made eggs for dinner last night. This seems like the perfect sequel since my egg craving isn't over yet...

linda said...

I may have to make this tomorrow for breakfast..

Michelle said...

Try this also with chunks of ham. :)

Anonymous said...

We have a similar family recipe called Eggs Goldenrod, we add crumbled browned sausage to ours and serve it over biscuits. YUM