Tuesday, May 6, 2008

.tabasco onion rings.

This is the recipe for the onion rings I made to go with the Vidalia Meatloaf. Man, these are so good! Vidalia onions are possibly the best onion to make onion rings with. Walla Walla sweets are pretty good too, but you can't find those in this part of the country (east coast).... just as I'm sure Vidalia onions aren't plentiful in your neck of the woods (west coast). Sometimes it's good living in Georgia.




I hate frying sometimes, and this is no exception. You can only fry a few rings at a time and there are usually a lot to do. The easiest way to do this is to fry them up and hold in a warm oven if you can.





Put all of your separated rings in a bowl. Pour buttermilk over the top. Put in 1 tsp tabasco and mix around to coat. Let sit for a few minutes.



While they're sitting, put some flour (about 1-2 cups) in a pie plate. Season with salt.




When you're ready to start dipping, dump the onions into a colander to drain off the excess buttermilk. The buttermilk will help the flour stick to the rings.








Put some onion rings in the flour and coat. If you use one hand to put the wet rings into to the flour, and another hand to pull the rings from the flour, you won't have as big a mess. Nothing like gunky hands to have a good time, right? LOL







Put all of the floured rings on a cookie sheet.



Heat oil in a wok or pot or fry daddy to 375*.







In a bowl, put 1 cup flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, a Tbsp tabasco sauce, and 12 oz beer. Whisk everything together. You want this batter to be not too thick and not too thin.








Put a handful of onion rings in the bowl at a time. Move them with a fork to coat.











Carefully place one onion ring at a time into the hot oil. Use tongs to turn over.









When nice and golden brown on both sides, pull from the oil and put on paper towels to absorb any oil.



Put the rings on a rack over a cookie sheet and hold in a warm oven while you finish frying all of the onion rings.

Serve with my Vidalia meatloaf.



Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_49fzr6gxsf

6 comments:

Kim -today's creative blog said...

yummm, looks good. I would love to try those.
Thanks for stopping by TCB. From a thread someone sent to me written by you over at 2peas,
I wanted to clairify that JS is not behind my blog. It's just me, only me.

Unknown said...

I am so jealous of people like you who love to cook. Those onion rings look FABULOUS but that is just too much trouble for me. Any recipe that has more than 5 ingredients and takes longer than 10 minutes of prep, forget it. That's me. I wish I wanted to make fabulous things like you! :-) I love to look, though!

Anonymous said...

Not to be snarky, just an honest question. I know I've seen you mention on 2peas that you are LDS, so I was just wondering why you use so much wine and beer in your recipes? Isn't this against your church code?

squillen said...

To the anonymous poster - the alcohol burns out almost completely. If there is any left in the finished product, it is a miniscule amount. I use it for the flavor, not the alcohol anyway...

I think it's a gray area within the church. They tend to say "don't use it-to be safe". Many of the dishes you have in restaurants have alcohol in them - used to deglaze pans, added to sauces, etc.

I follow my inner guide on this one and don't think I'm doing anything harmful to my body by using wine or beer in my cooking. I mean.. the butter consumption has to be worse, in my opinion.

Darleen said...

you can bring these to bunco!!! Just kidding!! These look incredible and perfect timing for Vidalia Onion season!!! Your blog has become quite a hit @ work, we check it out to see what "suzanne's been cooking lately", then print it out for co-worker's to take home.

Anonymous said...

squillen, what can I say ... It was awesome!!! I made this and your meatloaf last night. You have inspired me to try new things and have given me a love for cooking. I came from a family where if it wasn't from a box we didn't eat it. Your instructions are easy to follow and I feel like you are here helping. My husband wanted to say thanks as well... Hope you are having a great day!!