Wednesday, September 17, 2008

.lime pie.


In my family cookbook there's a recipe for lemon meringue pie. It's a great recipe that was passed down to me from my mother, and to my mother from her mother. Who knows how many generations this goes back! About 8 years ago, I had a bunch of limes to use up and thought I would try making this recipe using the juice of the limes, instead of lemon. It turned out amazing. Sweet and tart. It is such a refreshing dessert, perfect for spring or summer.

This lime pie has become one of the traditional pies I make for Easter and has won over the hearts of many. One of our good family friends was over for Easter 3 years ago and Russ fell in love with it. I promised if we ever lived close to each other again, I would make him one.

So, whether you use lemons or limes, this is a great pie for your next family function!


In a pot, mix together 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup cornstarch. Set aside.


Take 4-5 limes (not key limes) and cut them in half.


Using a cheese grater, or zester, zest the limes. It would probably be easier to do this before cutting them. My daughter was helping me and I was trying to make it more manageable for her.


Then you want to juice the limes.


Separate four eggs. We need the yolks. You can save the whites in a bowl or jar in the fridge to use on something else at a later time.


Remember that pot of sugar and cornstarch? Add 3 cups BOILING water. Whisk well. Then put on the stove and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir constantly!


It will begin to thicken and get clear. That's when you know it's time to move on to the next step.


Add a spoonful of the hot liquid to the yolks, whisking with a fork or small whisk while you pour. This tempers the yolks.


While stirring, slowly add the tempered yolks into your pot. If you need to pull the pot from the heat, do so. You don't want this to burn and you don't want it lumpy.


Now add the lime (or lemon) juice.

Stir well.

Put back on the burner and let it thicken up more.


Once it's as thick as it's going to get, pull from the heat and add 1-2 drops of green food coloring. I don't like this neon green so I only add 1 drop.


At this stage, add 2 Tbsp butter.


And dump in the zest.

Now we need to cool the filling down. You don't ever want to put a hot filling into your pie shell because it will make it tough.


Fill a bowl up with ice water.

This is called an ice bath and will cool the filling down quickly.


Nestle the pot in the bowl. Make sure no water can make its way into the pot. Keep stirring every now and then to get it to cool quickly, and also to keep a skin from forming on top.


Now pour 2/3 of the filling into a BAKED
pie shell.
Pour the remaining 1/3 into a separate bowl.


Cover both with saran. Make sure the saran rests right on top of the filling to keep skin from forming. Put these in a fridge and chill for at *least* 4 hours, or overnight if possible.


Once chilled, add a tub of cool whip to the 1/3 lime filling.


Mix well and spoon onto the pie.


Spread the topping over the entire surface. Cover again and chill another hour.

Cut and serve!


Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_110gpsk7cg8

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

looks delish Suzanne! One of my favourite pies.

But can I ask why not Key limes? I am curious? I thought you had to use Key lime?

They are difficult to find here, so I am happy to see your recipe.

squillen said...

Hey Stephanie, that's because this isn't a key lime pie. It's just a lime pie. Key lime is usually made with eggs, sweetened condensed milk, etc etc.. and is usually put in a graham cracker crust. Key lime pie is also creamy and sweet. This pie is a little tarter and the filling is more like a lemon meringue pie.

Key limes are sweeter and smaller. That's the nice thing about this recipe because you can use limes you find everyday in your grocery store.

heidigoseek said...

Yup, I'm keeping this one:)
Looks divine...

Unknown said...

Key lime is one of my all time fave desserts, so I know I will love this one too! I love lime flavor. I had no idea about the hot filling making the crust tough--thanks for the tip!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Suzanne. I didn't realize Key Lime Pie had a different set of ingredients. Good to know I can actually make LIME pie now! We have plenty of limes!

Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to make this one!!!
LOVE LIME!!!

thanks Suzanne!!

Christine

DebW said...

Without a doubt you are a master-I clicked on your blog, saw that pie and my mouth watered!LOL!

heidigoseek said...

Made this last night for FHE. It was a refreshing end to a spicy coconut curry dinner. Thanks for the recipe:)