Wednesday, May 14, 2008

.aunt vivian's carrot cake.



This recipe was added to our family cookbook from my mom, Carolyn. As children, we used to have carrot cake a lot... I think it was my mom's way of getting vegetables into us. This recipe was given to my mom from my great aunt Vivian. Preserving family recipes is a lot like preserving your family history. Food tells a lot about a person and I love having these to make for my family.



In a bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 cups sugar.









The key to this recipe is crushed pineapple. It gives the cake sweetness and makes it really moist. This can is huge. I only used a little over half of it and froze the rest. Make sure you either use a smaller can or only use half or so. Make sure you drain the juice out first. SAVE THE JUICE! We're going to need it later.













In a bowl, put 2 eggs, 1 cup oil, 2 cups shredded carrot, a little over 1 cup of crushed pineapple (8.5oz), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional).

Mix together well with a fork.







Dump the wet into the dry and mix together using a whisk or spatula.










Pour into a prepared 13x9" cake pan. Bake at 350* for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick inserted will come out clean.









Doesn't that look yummy? Set the entire cake on a cooling rack so air can flow over and under it. Once the cake is cooled, slather on the cream cheese frosting.








In a mixing bowl, put 1/4 cup butter and 1 8oz pkg cream cheese. Use the beater attachment and mix well.









Add 5-6 cups powdered sugar slowly, one scoop at a time. Don't dump it all in otherwise when you turn the mixer on you'll get a huge mushroom cloud of powdered sugar. lol








Alternate adding powdered sugar and the pineapple juice you reserved.










When you reach the consistency you want, add a tsp of vanilla and mix well. Spread all over your cooled cake.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_53k2t94nc5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm usually not a big fan of carrot cake but this looks delicious! Gotta try it:)

Anonymous said...

I made this for company today and they loved it.

sailor girl said...

Hi...I just found your blog. I tried your carrot cake last night....the first time I've made a carrot cake. It is wonderful! I did use half applesauce and half oil and it worked great. The frosting made a lot, but it sure was tasty.
I'm also retired from the Navy, and so is my husband.
Thanks...I'm sure I'll try more of your recipes. Rae

Unknown said...

Yum, Suzanne! I've made it twice (but not with carrots, though--with rhubarb and then zucchini!) and it was a big hit. Very moist!