Thursday, August 21, 2008

.curry chicken with rice.

When I was a teenager, my mom got a recipe from my great grandmother for curry chicken with rice. She called it curry chicken.. but that is too undescriptive. It conjurs images of the soupy indian dish, which this isn't. About a year ago, I emailed my mom asking her to get me a copy of it, because I was craving it. I don't like curry normally, but this has very subtle flavor, which paired with the veggies and chicken is perfect!

She told me she had no idea what I was talking about, but checked anyway. She couldn't find it. Well, fast forward to about a month or two ago, I get a card in the mail from my mom and tucked inside was..... THE RECIPE! She really DID have it! HA! (see mom, it WASN'T just my imagination!) Not only did she give me a typed copy of the recipe, but she attached a copy of the original written by my Grandma's own hand! She passed away almost 7 years ago so this is something I'll treasure.

I needed to take a dish to a potluck and thought I would make this. I doubled the recipe so what you see in the photos? Cut in half. :)



Cook 2 chicken breasts.


Chop up when cool to handle.


Cook up some rice. You can use white or brown. You'll need 2 cups (cooked).


Cut up some green bell pepper. 1/2 cup worth.


Dice up 1 cup onion.


Chop 1 cup celery.


Mince 2 cloves garlic.


Slice 1 cup mushrooms. You can take the easy way and buy them presliced like I did.


Heat a little oil in a skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.


Add the onion, pepper, and celery.


Season with salt and pepper.


When the onions are soft and transparent, add the mushrooms and saute for another 2-3 minutes.

Add 2 tsp curry powder. Mix well.


Put the rice in a large bowl.


Add the chicken and sauteed veggies. Mix well.


Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup.


Mix everything together really well. If you want, add 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds. It gives this dish a little crunch.


Dump everything into a casserole dish and bake at 350* for 1/2 hour.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_99c4j5t7gp

1 comment:

Jana said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. I think it is so COOL that you go the recipe in your grandmothers writing.