Thursday, July 17, 2008

.dad's buttermilk pancakes.


My dad is the pancake man! Growing up we always looked forward to the weekends because that meant dad would make us breakfast. This is his go to recipe and the pancakes are so light and fluffy and delicious!



My daughter begged me to make these last weekend and who was I to disappoint her? However, halfway through I realized my griddle broke about a month or so ago so I had to use a pan on the stove. I really recommend using a griddle. You'll be pouring and flipping for a long time. LOL



Feel free to add whatever berries you want to this, if you want berries at all. I had some blueberries in the freezer and used those. Raspberries are really good in this recipe, as are bacon bits, or apples! Yummy!



In a large bowl, put 2 cups flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt.



In a small mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups buttermilk and 2 eggs.



Pour the wet into the dry and mix until all the lumps are gone.



If it's too thick, add a litle more buttermilk. You don't want it too thin otherwise your pancakes will be paper thin.



At this point, add berries if you're using them.



Use a measuring cup or ladle to scoop the batter. Put a large scoop on the griddle or pan.



When you see air bubbles breaking all over the pancake, you will know it's time to flip!



Carefully flip the pancake over. Let it cook on the other side. This should take about 3 minutes per side. If your griddle or pan is too hot, you are going to have gooey centers that are YUCKY! So make sure you're not cooking these on too high of heat.



Pull from the griddle when both sides are nice and golden. Hold in a 200* oven until all pancakes are made.



Growing up, we never bought storebought syrup. We always made it. I really can't have it any other way now. It's really easy to make homemade syrup.



Put 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan.

Turn the burner onto medium low. You want to dissolve the sugar.



When the syrup loses it's cloudiness and the sugar crystals have dissolved, you want to add some mapeline, or maple flavoring. About 2 teaspoons.







Mapleine can be found down the spice aisle of your grocery store. A big bottle like this goes a long way.

When the syrup and pancakes are ready, it's time to dig in!

Serve hot with lots of butter. Now you can have delicious, fluffy buttermilk pancakes at home! Treat your kids tomorrow morning. :)

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_78gxm8k7zj

12 comments:

Ronda said...

Oh yummy! You are making me so hungry. Especially with blueberries! So you must have gotten a new camera? YAY!!!

snbjork said...

Your recipes are all absolutely amazing. Yum! I can't wait to try every single one of them!! Thank you for taking the time to take pictures and post these fabulous recipes. I refer to your site all the time and look forward to new recipes!

By the way, your fondue table for your friend's shower looked incredible! Did you set up the whole thing yourself? The presentation was stunning!

I was just going back through some of your previous recipes. And, like several times before, I got stuck on the s'mores cake. I am going to have to make that sometime soon. My hubby and I both love s'mores (what's not to like??) and that cake makes me drool.

Thank you, thank you!

squillen said...

Ronda, I'm using my old camera, but these pictures were taken before my Nikon broke.

squillen said...

snbjork -- thank you so much! I did set the fondue table up myself. Presentation is so important!

Let me know what you think of that s'mores cake when you make it.

heidigoseek said...

Hey there...I am sooo into the pancakes right now. I don't even know why. I love to make them. Buttermilk is my favorite kind. Thanks for the recipe. It looks great:)

Vansmom said...

I make my own syrup too! None of my friends have ever even heard making it yourself. I am glad that I am not the only one, besides my grandma, of course...

I am LoW said...

And for thicker syrup you could use brown sugar. ;-)

Kasey Sass said...

OK, stupid question, but I'm going to ask it... How hot is too hot when cooking the pancakes? I'm not a very good cook, but I'm thinking I might be able to pull these off if I know what heat to cook them on.

They sound SOOOO yummy!!!

squillen said...

kasey, keep your burner on medium heat. Do not put it on medium high or high. I had a roommate at college who only knew how to cook on high....her pancakes were awful! LOL

April said...

These look so good. The only thing I don't have on hand right now is the buttermilk so tonight I plan on getting some. Can't wait to try these out. Your recipes are AWESOME!

snbjork said...

Man, oh, man. I made these pancakes Friday night when the missionaries came over for dinner. They were AWESOME! So light and fluffy..and blueberry pancakes are my favorite!

~Suzanne~

April said...

I made these this morning and they are SO good. I didn't have any berries so I made them plain and the whole famiy loved them. I have been searching for a great pancake recipe and now I found it. Thanks!