Saturday, January 19, 2008

.donkey likes waffles.

I love the movie Shrek. And I love Donkey the most. And I love how he always says he wants waffles. Imagine a waffle-lovin' donkey. Pretty funny, huh? Paige loves waffles too. Perhaps I should re-think her name and just start calling her donkey? I don't know if she'd love that very much!

This morning I decided to treat the family to big waffle breakfast with hashbrowns and bacon. Here's my recipe!


WAFFLES

Separate 2 eggs, putting the whites in a mixing bowl, and the yolks in a little bowl. Using a mixer on high speed, whip, using the whisk attachment, the whites until stiff peaks form. Transfer the egg whites to another bowl and set aside (if you only have one mixing bowl).

Put in the mixing bowl 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp sugar, and 1 Tbsp baking powder. Mix using the same whisk attachment. Add 1 3/4 cup milk, the 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup oil. Mix until lumps are gone.

By hand, use a rubber spatula tofold in 1/2 of the egg whites. Once those are incorporated, fold in the rest. This will make your batter light and fluffy. Don't be tempted to forego whipping those egg whites in the beginning and just dump in eggs. You will wind up with heavy, flat waffles.

Ladle spoonfuls onto a hot waffle iron and bake.

TIP: When I make these big breakfasts, I always start by cooking the meats (bacon and sausage). Then I fry up my hashbrowns. Transfer to a baking dish if you're not using an ovan-safe pan. The bacon, sausage, and hashbrowns hold well in a 200* oven while you work on the waffles. I keep a plate in the oven so when each waffle is done, I can put it in the oven to keep warm.

Once the waffle batter is all used up, pull everything from the oven and enjoy!

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dg2vfjqm_0f3tdtwfr&hl=en

1 comment:

cindyMN said...

Suzanne, I am loving your recipes. But, is there any place you can have just a texted copy of them, so they can be printed off??
that would be awesome!!
tfs
Cindy