Thursday, May 22, 2008

.s'mores cake.



I got a crazy notion in my head to make a S'mores Cake. I found some recipes online, but they didn't really have what I wanted, so I changes some things here and other things there... I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.


If I had to do it over again? I'd toast the marshmallows in the oven using the broiler. I had some flambe marshmallows from the torch. LOL Wouldn't be true smores without burnt marshmallows though, right?


This is a pretty rich cake too. The size I cut for the picture (and then ate), was wayyyyy too much. UGH! Small portions, Suzanne. When will I ever learn?



Crush 1 package graham crackers. Pour into a bowl and set aside.










Crush another package of graham crackers and add to it 2 tsp sugar and 1/3 stick butter, melted. Mix it all together.









Dump the crumbs from the 2nd batch into a 9x13 pan and press into the bottom.


Now let's make the cake.







In a mixer, whisk together 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and 3 egg yolks (reserve the egg whites for later - don't throw away!)









In a bowl, put 3/4 c. flour, the bowl of graham cracker crumbs you crushed the first time, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.









We're also going to need 3/4 cup milk.

















Alternating between the wet and dry, add a little flour mix, then some milk, then more flour mix, then more milk. Do this until it's all in the bowl and mixed well.








Mix in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla.











Whisk the egg whites until medium peaks form.











Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. This will give the batter some lift. It's really quite delicious and moist.









Pour the batter into the pan, right on top of the graham cracker crust.
Bake at 350* for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.














See? A beautiful golden cake. Let it cool.











Put 3 cups chocolate chips in a bowl with 1 Tbsp butter. Put the bowl on top of a pot filled with an inch of water. Melt the chocolate.









Spread the chocolate on top of the cake. The top started pulling up on me because the chocolate was so thick. That's okay though because really.. noone is even going to see the chocolate layer! I highly recommend sticking this in the fridge for a few minutes before doing the next step to firm up the chocolate.





Take 1 jar of marshmallow fluff and spread on top of the cake. This will help the mini marshmallows stick.










See? I didn't let my chocolate cool before putting the fluff on. It smeared all over and was messy.



Put an entire bag of mini marshmallows on top of this cake. Spread them out so they cover the top evenly.











Now it's time for the MARSHMALLOWS TO BURRRNNNNN!!! *evil laugh*

This is my creme brulee torch. Like I said above, next time I make this I will just stick this under the broiler. I burned too many marshmallows using the torch and kept having to blow out flames as I browned them. LOL




Yummy yummy toasty marshmallows.
Cut the cake into squares carefully. The melted marshmallows are super sticky and will come up when you cut. If you rub your spatula with a little butter beforehand, you will avoid this problem.
Oh.. and I sprinkled the top with some mini chocolate chips too, just for garnish.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_615pkxkc2m

16 comments:

Carla said...

WOW! That looks so good, I gotta make this!
Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Casii said...

That is just not right. I'm on a diet! LOL
I'm sooooooo making this for a graduation party. At least if I have to share, I won't eat the entire thing!

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome Suz, I definitely will try it.
Quick question: if you're not crushing a package of crackers, how many cups of crumbs do you need?
I'm going to the grocery store and buying some coloured minis right after work. Yum!!
thanks!!
Christine

squillen said...

Christine, I think one package of crumbs equals 2 cups. Maybe 2 1/4 cups. Hope that helps!

Darleen said...

what a great summer sleepover treat!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good and fattening. My favorite combination. Thanks for sharing

Melissa said...

that looks so yummy, thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to be Pioneer Woman?

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to be Pioneer Woman?

May 23, 2008 6:37 PM



I am not Suzanne, so I can't speak for her, but Pioneer Woman did not invent recipe or cooking blogs.

Suzanne happens to have an obvious talent in the kitchen. Pioneer Woman does not own exclusive rights to that talent. I hardly think she should be the only one to host a cooking blog.

Suzanne sold her business - a business that involved cooking & baking (long before Pioneer Woman was on the scene). How fortunate for us that she is able to continue enjoying her love for baking and cooking while sharing it with us.

squillen said...

To the anonymous poster - No I'm not trying to be the Pioneer Woman. She takes WAY better pictures than me and is a much better story teller.

I started this blog because I love to cook and it also helps motivate me to create in the kitchen because I often get in a rut. This blog pushes me to be more creative and try new things.

I think my recipes are a little more sophisticated than hers. I could never live out on the range where the deer and buffalo play.

Thanks to you guys who come by and are committed regulars. I appreciate you and your comments keep me going. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that looks soooo yummy! i'll definitely have to try it sometime!

Kip said...

omg, that looks good!!

doris sander said...

wooooaaaaaaah! seriously decadent! :D

Anonymous said...

I made this last night. It was absolutely delicious! Everyone loved it. Whenever the kids open the pantry and see it they start drooling again.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

One thing, in the Google doc (which was very helpful to have) you are missing 1 cup sugar in the dry ingredient list.

Anonymous said...

Yum! This recipe looks lovely :) Um, one question for you though... When you mean a package of graham crackers, do you mean four crackers, or...? Sorry, I'm confused D:

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous poster who felt the need to insult the creator of this blog...SHUT UP! Pioneer Woman isn't the only lady who has a cooking blog. You seriously have nothing better to do than posts insulting comments 3 hours apart on a cooking blog?! Apparently you're just jealous because you can't cook or blog! Go AWAY now and Get a LIFE!!