Thursday, January 8, 2009

.herbed gratin potatoes.





Potatoes are such a comfort to me that I am going to have a very difficult time easing up on them this year. It's part of my New Year's resolution.. the whole weight loss thing. I have mentally chosen (CHOSEN!) to reduce portions if I make something that might not be healthy for me, chosen to work out EVERY DAY (minus weekends), and chosen to eat healthier. My family will revolt if I change everything at once so I am taking baby steps.



I am not a fan of diet programs. I have more success when I do it my way.



So anyway.. throwing all of that out the window, I made herbed gratin potatoes to go with roast chicken. I love these so much. Traditionally gratin potatoes are made with gruyere and a nice browned crust on top. I mix it up by adding tarragon, thyme, and some parmesan cheese.





Start by peeling and thinly slicing 5 white or yukon gold potatoes.










Put the potatoes in a skillet and put on medium/medium high heat.














Pour some milk into the pan, halfway up the potatoes. Then take some cream and pour enough in to reach the top of the potatoes.














Season well with salt, pepper, tarragon, and thyme.















Bring the cream to almost a boil and then turn to low heat. Stir the potatoes around to ensure they are all cooked at the same time. Let sit on low heat for about 10 minutes.













While the potatoes are on the stove, grate your parmesan cheese a nd gruyere. I use about 1 cup of each.














Butter your baking dish well and then rub a crushed garlic clove all around the edges and bottom. I left the garlic in the bottom of the baker but you can remove it if you want.














Remove the potatoes from the stove. Using a spoon, place some in the bottom of the baker and then spoon on a little of the cream.





Add a layer of parmesan/gruyere cheese. Repeat the process over and over spooning cream whenever you put in some potatoes.















Make sure when you reach the top that you have saved enough cheese to sprinkle on the surface. Put in a 350* oven for 45 minutes.









When it's done, the top will be beautifully golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving or run the risk of burning your tongue with these nuclear hot potatoes. lol



Bon Appetit!


Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_126dm2m8sfw

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Mmmmm. I can't give up potatoes, or bread, or pasta either. So instead of dieting (which only works short term) I'm not giving any of them up, I'm just eating reasonable portions and cutting out crap. Sounds like we are of the same mind on that.

This sounds good. I usually make it just like that except with all swiss and all cream (no milk). I'll have to try half milk like you said to cut out some calories.

kingsqueen said...

Omgosh those look like heaven in a bowl! I adore potatoes and cheese adn think Au Gratin potatoes are the most perfect food ever invented. :)