Thursday, April 3, 2008

.baked santa fe dip.


I came across this recipe in one of my magazines years ago when I lived in Hawaii. I was intrigued by the ingredients but thought I'd give it a try (I'd never made a hot dip using mayo before and had no clue what a chipotle pepper was!). I was asked to bring an appetizer dip to a church party and decided to bring this as my dish. Well, it was so good I didn't even get any because it was gone in 15 minutes. No joking! So, of course, I had to make it again at home so hubby and I could finally have some.

I have since made this dip numerous times and have had people even request me make it for parties. It is *that* awesome.

The chipotle pepper gives this dip a nice smoky flavor and the salsa (pico de gallo) on top is a wonderful cool contrast to the warm, cheesy dip. The original recipe says to serve this with jicama, but we use tortilla chips.

Here's the recipe.

In a large mixing bowl, put:
2 bags pre-shredded cheese mexican blend (8 cups total)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced green chiles
1 Tbsp chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)*
1 tsp garlic powder

*Add more if you want more heat.


Mix well and put in a baking dish. You can make this ahead of time, cover with saran and hold in the fridge overnight.

When you're ready to serve, put in a 350* oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it's nice and bubbly.





While the dip is in the oven, make the pico de gallo.

In a bowl, mix together:
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch green onion, chopped
chopped cilantro
squeeze of fresh lime
s&p

When the dip comes out of the oven, spoon the salsa down the middle of the dish. Serve immediately with tortlla chips.

For a healthier alternative, you can use reduced fat cheese and mayo. Serve with jicama or baked tortilla chips.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_30hsxqvtfd

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh yeah, this is the best cheesy dip ever! I made it once when the missionaries were over, and they ate almost the whole thing by themselves!

Tanya said...

I love making dips in the summer so I can't wait to try this one. I think my hubby will love it!

alteredaimee said...

Oh this sounds yummy! Is the chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce) in a can?

squillen said...

Aimee, yep! The chipotle comes in a can found in your ethnic food aisle of the grocery store. Warning if you use too much it will be WAY too spicy. A little goes a long way.

alteredaimee said...

Thanks Squillen. I am going to make this for my guys this week. I'm sure they are going to love it. They are all about spicy stuff. Your blog is awesome by the way, I will be back often!

Sean, Jamie, Morgan, Cadence said...

Ok so let's assume you live someplace, like Japan for instance. You are craving this amazing dip and over the course of 2 weeks and many hours searching the commissary (your only American food shopping choice) you are completely unable to find any chipolte ANYWHERE. What would you recommend?

Thanks Suzanne!! I am glad you included this recipe! It is one of my favorites!!

J. said...

I made this last night to take to a party. It makes a big batch and it was gone in no time at all!! Quite a success! Thanks

Julie said...

This looks amazing!!! I plan on making in this holiday season. Yum!

Nyla said...

YUM, I want to make this but just for my little family of 3. Should I half it? TIA!

Anonymous said...

Would love to take this to a party, but how do you keep it hot?