Thursday, April 3, 2008

.baked santa fe dip.


I came across this recipe in one of my magazines years ago when I lived in Hawaii. I was intrigued by the ingredients but thought I'd give it a try (I'd never made a hot dip using mayo before and had no clue what a chipotle pepper was!). I was asked to bring an appetizer dip to a church party and decided to bring this as my dish. Well, it was so good I didn't even get any because it was gone in 15 minutes. No joking! So, of course, I had to make it again at home so hubby and I could finally have some.

I have since made this dip numerous times and have had people even request me make it for parties. It is *that* awesome.

The chipotle pepper gives this dip a nice smoky flavor and the salsa (pico de gallo) on top is a wonderful cool contrast to the warm, cheesy dip. The original recipe says to serve this with jicama, but we use tortilla chips.

Here's the recipe.

In a large mixing bowl, put:
2 bags pre-shredded cheese mexican blend (8 cups total)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced green chiles
1 Tbsp chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce)*
1 tsp garlic powder

*Add more if you want more heat.


Mix well and put in a baking dish. You can make this ahead of time, cover with saran and hold in the fridge overnight.

When you're ready to serve, put in a 350* oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and it's nice and bubbly.





While the dip is in the oven, make the pico de gallo.

In a bowl, mix together:
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch green onion, chopped
chopped cilantro
squeeze of fresh lime
s&p

When the dip comes out of the oven, spoon the salsa down the middle of the dish. Serve immediately with tortlla chips.

For a healthier alternative, you can use reduced fat cheese and mayo. Serve with jicama or baked tortilla chips.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_30hsxqvtfd

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh yeah, this is the best cheesy dip ever! I made it once when the missionaries were over, and they ate almost the whole thing by themselves!

Tanya said...

I love making dips in the summer so I can't wait to try this one. I think my hubby will love it!

aimee said...

Oh this sounds yummy! Is the chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce) in a can?

squillen said...

Aimee, yep! The chipotle comes in a can found in your ethnic food aisle of the grocery store. Warning if you use too much it will be WAY too spicy. A little goes a long way.

aimee said...

Thanks Squillen. I am going to make this for my guys this week. I'm sure they are going to love it. They are all about spicy stuff. Your blog is awesome by the way, I will be back often!

mysandbeach said...

Ok so let's assume you live someplace, like Japan for instance. You are craving this amazing dip and over the course of 2 weeks and many hours searching the commissary (your only American food shopping choice) you are completely unable to find any chipolte ANYWHERE. What would you recommend?

Thanks Suzanne!! I am glad you included this recipe! It is one of my favorites!!

Joan Jones said...

I made this last night to take to a party. It makes a big batch and it was gone in no time at all!! Quite a success! Thanks

Julie said...

This looks amazing!!! I plan on making in this holiday season. Yum!

Nyla said...

YUM, I want to make this but just for my little family of 3. Should I half it? TIA!

Anonymous said...

Would love to take this to a party, but how do you keep it hot?