Saturday, April 12, 2008

.chicken enchilades.




This is yet another recipe from my dear old sister (Sorry Ronda.. you're 45 now. You are officially old. HA! Kidding.. kidding... ). It's in the family cookbook that we put together about 10 years ago. I don't usually make enchilades because we go OUT for them, but I had all the stuff for it and thought I'd go ahead and make them for dinner. Plus, I'm kind of on a budget right now and am trying to cut down on eating out and such.





Here's what you'll need for these:

  • white corn tortillas
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 can diced green chiles
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • chili powder
  • velvetta cheese
  • cheddar cheese
  • onion




In a skillet heat some oil with about a tablespoon of chili powder. I think I used more than a tablespoon. I just dumped some in. lol









Put in some of the corn tortillas. My pan is huge and so I can do 3 at a time. Fry on both sides for just a minute. We're not frying to make crispy. We just want to soften them.
















Put on paper towels to drain grease.

Do as many or as little tortillas as you'd like.








Chop up a small onion.



I love my Pampered Chef food chopper. It's fast and easy when you need onion in a hurry.






Cook and chop up the two chicken breasts. If you have leftover chicken, this dish is perfect for using that up. Set the onion and chicken aside.









Using the same skillet you fried the tortillas (there should only be a tiny bit of oil left. Drain some of it out. Add more chili powder (about 1 tsp), 3 cups chicken broth, a can of diced green chiles, and grate about 1/2 lb Velvetta cheese. Heat until the cheese is melted and makes a nice sauce.






Here's my assembly line. Sauce, grated cheese in the back (oh yah.. grate lots of cheese!), chopped chicken and onion, and the tortillas.



I also put out a cookie sheet to assemble because it's going to make a mess. You'll see....





Dip a tortilla in the cheese sauce. Put on the cookie sheet.









Put some grated cheese down the middle.


















Put some chicken and onion on top of the cheese.










Roll the tortilla up.

>Pretty simple, huh?

(See how messy it gets? Cookie sheet. It's a good thing. ;) )





Put the tortilla in a casserole dish.








Repeat with the other tortillas until your casserole dish is full. I wound up make a BUNCH and froze half of it for a future meal. Saves me time when I'm in a hurry. To freeze, put in an aluminum dish. Cover with saran and then tightly with foil.







Spoon some of the remaining cheese sauce on top. This will keep the enchilades from drying out too much when you cook them.

Top with grated cheese and any leftover onion and chicken.
Bake for 1/2 hour in a 350* oven.












Voila. Finished product.

While the enchilades were in the oven, I made guacamole, shredded the lettuce, and diced some tomato. Delicious!

6 comments:

cindyMN said...

I'm not a big fan of velveeta cheese. Have you used anything else?

squillen said...

Cindy, you can use regular cheddar cheese if you want in the pan.

Laura Davis said...

Yum, this looks so good! I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and for sure making this one:)
Laura

debbie from illinios said...

i just realized as i was looking at your blog i clicked on a star. sorry i didn't mean to do that.

you have a wonderful blog and i am looking forwrd to trying some of your recipes.

sorry about the lowercase, my keyboard is wonky.

April said...

I made this tonight and it was great. My daughter even ate it without complaining about the onions!

Ronda said...

Okay, rub it in my face! I am 45 now but that means you're 36!!! Almost the big "40"! These enchiladas are so yummy. I also use flour tortillas sometimes. They do have to still be softened though. Makes a huge difference. I also just like them as Cheese enchiladas without the chicken, sometimes. Then I'll make tacos with them or something. I give this one 5 stars!