Sunday, February 17, 2008

.teriyaki beef.



While we were in Seattle, we went out to lunch at a teriyaki place called Ono Teriyaki in Renton. It was sooooo delicious and they served the lunches in bento boxes. Loved that!

Ever since then I've craved teriyaki. Can't find teriyaki (read: good teriyaki) anywhere out here, so I decided to make my own.


Take some skirt steak (or flank steak) and put it in a ziploc. Dump in your marinade. I used Kikkoman teriyaki sauce, but I normally use Lawry's... and if I'm feeling really ambitious, I will make my own. Personally... the Kikkoman wasn't that great. If you don't want to make your own sauce, I really suggest getting the Lawry's teriyaki marinade.












Since the steak is thin, you really don't need to marinade it that long. Maybe an hour or two. Once it's marinated, remove from the bag and slice it into thin strips going against the grain.















Heat your frying pan and put in a little oil. (I use a wok.) Dump in your meat and fry it up. Pour a little teriyaki sauce in and let it cook into your meat.









Once it's cooked, stir in some sliced green onion.

Super fast. Super easy. Super delicious.


When I make teriyaki, I like making stir fry veggies. You'll need zucchini, summer squash, red onion, gingerroot and garlic.




This is gingerroot. It's found in the produce section of your grocery store. It is the root of the ginger plant which grows prevelantly in Hawaii. It's very very pretty. I love ginger. You want to peel the root with a potato peeler and then mince very very fine. You can use the fine side of your cheese grater if you don't want to mince. Mince up a couple cloves of garlic too while you're at it. Set aside.



Slice your zucchini, summer squash, and red onion. Put in a bowl.










Heat your wok or skillet. Pour in a little olive oil and heat. Put in the garlic and ginger and sautee for about 30 seconds.









Add your veggies. Saute until they're fork tender. You don't want these guys to burn, so sprinkle in a little soy sauce and/or water to keep moisture in the pan.





Serve this meal with steamed rice. This meal is pretty light and healthy! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kay said...

I know this is an old post, but I loved a place called Teriyaki Time in Utah. I now live out in the sticks and cannot find good teriyaki sauce. The place I liked in Utah had a fairly sweet sauce. It was rather thick as well. I've bought all kinds of bottled sauce and none of them are any good. They are all thin and taste way too much like soy sauce for me. Does Lawry's teriyaki marinade have good consistency? Or do you have a recipe for a great teriyaki sauce? Thanks so much!

squillen said...

Kay, I honestly did not care for this teriyaki sauce. If you want to try a really good one, I highly suggest making your own. If you look at the recipe for Mongolian Beef, try making that sauce. It is out of this world and goes great with everything! Hope that helps.

squillen said...

The Mongolian Beef recipe is on my blog. Look under Main Dishes. :)

Jenn said...

We buy Yoshida's Gourmet Teriyaki sauce at Sam's Club or Costco when we don't want to make our own. It is much better than Kikkoman.