Friday, September 5, 2008

.grouper sandwich with cajun mayonnaise.


I'm back! YESSS! Jim was out of town this week and took my camera with him to get pictures of houses and well... silly me... completely forgot that all of my recent pictures were ON that camera card. Doh.

I've got some great recipes to share but I wanted to start with this one. A delicious, juicy grouper sandwich with a mild cajun mayonnaise. Very quick to make.


First let's make the mayonnaise.

In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and dashes of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, paprika, and 2 red jalapeno peppers (seeded). Oh and a little black pepper.


These are the red peppers I used. I found them next to the pickles and pickled jalapenos. They're very squishy so all you have to do is squeeze out the seeds. If you want your mayo spicier, leave the seeds in. Just cut up the peppers with a knife and add to the bowl.


On a plate put 1/4 cup flour and 2 tsp cornstarch.

In a bowl, put 1 cup flour, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne and a dash black pepper. Mix together well.


Slowly add some beer to the bowl and mix with a fork until you have a crepe like batter.


It should be thick enough to coat the fork.


Lightly coat fillets of grouper with the flour and cornstarch.


Dip in the beer batter. The batter will not want to stick because of the flour, but keep turning it until it's all coated.


I was in a hurry tonight so I heated the oil in a pot instead of my wok. Use whatever you need to use. Heat to 360 and carefully put the coated fish into the oil. Fry until nice and golden brown. This will take about 5 minutes. You want to make sure your oil isn't too hot otherwise it'll be nice and brown on the outside, but the fish will be RAW. Yuck. You don't want that!

Pull the grouper from the oil and drain on paper towels. If you want to use another kind of fish, go ahead. You can use cod, halibut, or any other white fish that holds up and won't break apart when cooked.

Slice up some tomato, red onion, and pull leaves of lettuce. I used red leaf lettuce for it's color.

Assemble the fish, veggies, and cajun mayonnaise on a toasted bun and serve with salad or fries.

No comments: