Thursday, September 24, 2009

.raspberry coffee cake.

I had a meeting the other morning for church and I thought I would take a little treat for us to enjoy. When I got there, I discovered my friend, Leesa also made a coffee cake! Hers was cinnamon sugar... mine was a really moist raspberry coffee cake. Absolutely delicious. Rather funny that we both had coffee cake on the brain though!

You can use any berry you want. I had raspberries in the freezer and wanted to use them up. The perfect choice, in my opinion!

There are three steps to making this cake: Batter. Berries. Crumb topping.




Put 1 lb of berries in a bowl and add 1/3 cup sugar.











In a mixing bowl, put 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.










In another bowl, mix together 2/3 cup sour cream, 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks, and 3 tsp vanilla. Set aside.

Cut up 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter into 12 pieces
and set aside.







With your mixer on low, alternate adding some of the egg/sour cream mixture and 1-2 pieces of butter until it's all combined.











For the topping, put in a bowl: 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp salt, 3 1/2 cups flour and 1 cup melted butter. Mix it well together.








Butter a 9x13 baking dish and spread out 1/2 of the cake batter. Sprinkle the berries over the top evenly so that the entire surface has berries. Dollop the rest of the cake batter on top of the berries. Don't worry about spreading it out.

Spread out the crumb mixture over the entire top. Bake in a 325* oven for about an hour. I had to cook a little longer because the center was a little jiggly. If your center is jiggly, then keep on baking! When the center is set, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Make sure it's completely cool before serving.

Bon appetite!


Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZ-Z_fQXybIkZGcydmZqcW1fMTY3aGJiOG1iY2I&hl=en

5 comments:

DebW said...

as soon as I saw the picture of the berries in the bowl my mouth started to water!LOL!

Sass Class said...

Are the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl when you start adding the egg mixture and the butter??? I wasn't quite sure on that.

Suzanne said...

Tharon, yes. You start adding the wet ingredients into the dry, alternating it with the butter. Hope that clears it up. :)

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, did you thaw out the berries or use them frozen?
Thanks.

BTW- the coffee cake looks DELICIOUS!!

Suzanne said...

I pulled the berries out of the freezer when I first started making the cake. If you want to thaw them first, it won't change anything, but they don't have to be! Hope that helps!