Wednesday, March 26, 2008

.mongolian beef.



Mongolian Beef is a FAVORITE of ours when we go to P.F. Changs. A sweet teriyaki sauce coated on strips of tender beef and slices of green onion. Yummy! My sister, Marcia sent me the copy cat recipe for this years ago and I make it on occasion. It's not hard so I'm not sure why I don't make it more often! I hope this becomes a favorite in your home. :)

In a saucepan, heat some olive oil. Saute 3-4 cloves minced garlic and about 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot. If you don't have gingerroot, you can use ground ginger but it won't give you the exact taste.








Saute only a minute or else your garlic/ginger will burn. Quickly add:

1 c. soy sauce
1 c. water and
2 c. brown sugar

Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat to low.










Let it bubble and reduce for about an hour and half. You want this mixture to reduce to where it's really thick and syrupy and will coat the back of a spoon.

[NOTE: If you want to make double... triple the recipe, you can store this in a jar in the fridge for a month or two. Makes for quick meals especially if you don't have an hour or two to let the sauce reduce each time you want teriyaki.]












This is flank steak. About 2 pounds of it.

Holding your knife at a 45 degree angle, you want to slice the meat thinly.






Put the sliced meat into a ziploc and dump in about 1/4 c. cornstarch. Seal and shake to coat the pieces.

Heat oil in a wok or skillet on medium heat.










Carefully put some strips of beef in the hot oil and "flash fry" for 2 minutes.








Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel. Repeat until all the beef has been fried.












Put the fried beef, some sliced green onion, and the teriyaki sauce in a large bowl. Stir to coat. Transfer to a baking dish and put in a 350* oven for 15-20 minutes. This will allow the sauce to cook into the meat.







To go with this, I quickly sauteed some zucchini, summer squash, and red onion in some olive oil with minced garlic and gingerroot. To keep the veggies from burning, add a little water and soy sauce. Remove from skillet once the onion are nice and soft.

I also served the Mongolian Beef with steamed rice.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_25fvmknpd3

7 comments:

Ronda said...

I am so JEALOUS!!! You and Marcia must be having so much fun and she's getting to try all this yummy food you are making!!! NOT FAIR! It is SNOWING! Can you believe it? It is March 26th and we have 5"-6" of snow! The kids built a snowman! They even cancelled seminary for tomorrow. I wonder if they'll cancel school?
Miss you sisters!

Love,
Ronda

Tina said...

I just wanted to say I love your blog...you make every meal not only look delicious but also so pretty LOL!

I wanted to put a link to your blog on mine....a lot of my local friends love to cook and would love your blog. Just wanted to make sure it was ok with you first! Have a great day!

squillen said...

Tina, I'd love if you put a link to my blog on yours. Thank you so much!

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Holy crap that looks good. YIKES. I want some now. I have to try your tortilla soup first though, since soup weather is pretty much over here. Maybe I can squeeze it in!

Joanne Brown said...

Wow! This looks amazing. I'm definitely gonna be trying this :), thanks! joanne x

Anonymous said...

i will be making this to go with stinky rose's sticky chicken!
thanks

Anonymous said...

DH declared "you can make this again" and decided that it had everything going for it - beef of course being the operative but he also mentioned that it was sweet but also had balance to the sweet and he was right.

I'll definitely make it again!