Monday, August 22, 2011

Farmer's Market #1

We just finished watching another season of Master Chef in our house. I am a big fan because I love to cook and being a stay at home mom, a part of me wishes I could be on that show. (But what would I do with my kids while I'm gone!?!?!)

So my husband and oldest daughter decided to go to the local Farmer's Market and pick up some surprise ingredients for me to work my magic on. A fun idea, right? I thought it might be fun to do a Farmer's Market dinner every week and I'll post it on my blog! That's right! Every Monday, come to my blog to find out what I've made with my secret goodies.

On their first trip to the market, they bought me the following:





Peaches, Red Bell Peppers, Cilantro, Carrots, Green Beans and Fennel.

I was able to use items from my pantry (whew!) and I was able to pick out my own protein. Tonight, I used chicken thighs and wings.


The peaches were the stumper but I quickly found something to make with just about everything!

I'm calling my creation Roasted Pepper and Peach Chicken with Sauteed Vegetables and Roasted Green Beans.

Here's how I made it:





  1. Peel the peaches, remove pit, and dice. Set aside.


  2. Sit the red bell peppers on a burner over high heat and basically burn the skins. You can do this over the BBQ grill, too, which I would have done had it not been raining. When the skin is black all over, remove from the burner and place in a ziploc with a little olive oil. Squish it all around so the pepper is covered entirely with oil. Let sit for 5 minutes, then begin removing the skin under cold tap water.


  3. Dice up the roasted red pepper and set aside.


  4. Dice 1/2 onion and set aside.


  5. Mince 1 clove garlic.


  6. Chop a small handful of cilantro.


  7. Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan.


  8. Saute the garlic and onion with a bay leaf for 30 seconds. Don't let the garlic burn.


  9. Add the peaches and red pepper.


  10. Chop up some of the fennel frong (the whispy part at the top) and put that and the cilantro in the saucepan.


  11. Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes and some celery seed.


  12. Add 3 Tbsp brown sugar


  13. Add 3 Tbsp cider vinegar


  14. Add salt and pepper


Let this cook down for awhile. This shouldn't be runny. It should be the consistency of jam. Taste and see if it needs more salt. If it's too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If it's too vinegar-y, add a little more brown sugar. You really can't mess this up unless you burn it.



Remove the bay leaf. Dump the chutney into a blender and blitz for a quick minute. You don't want this too smooth, but you don't want big chunks either.



Turn your BBQ on low heat and put the chicken on. You want to cook your chicken on low, especially if it's bone in to ensure it's cooked all the way through. Don't put your sauce on until the very end. When you know the chicken is cooked kick up the heat on your BBQ and start slathering your pieces with the chutney.



We want to caramelize that chutney to the outside of the chicken. When it's all good and covered and caramelized, remove from the grill. Serve with the sauteed vegetables and roasted green beans.



Sauteed Vegetable





  1. Cut the end off the fennel and slice in half and then slice the entire thing. Don't make these slices too thick or too thin.


  2. Slice an onion (or half of what was remaining from the chutney).


  3. Peel and slice carrots. Because the carrots will take the longest to cook, I par-boiled them. Bring some water to a boil. Drop in the carrot slices and let cook for a couple minutes. Drain and quickly dump into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

  4. Slice one red bell pepper.


  5. Mince 1 clove garlic


Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a saute pan and saute the garlic in a skillet for 30 seconds. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss so everything's coated with the butter.



Season with salt and pepper and then squeeze half a lemon on top. Continue to saute until all vegetables are fork tender. Serve warm.





Roasted Green Beans





  1. Trim ends and coat beans with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.


  2. Zest a lemon and toss on the beans.


  3. Place in a baking dish in the oven and bake at 350* until the beans are fork tender.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Love this idea! Can't wait to see what else you create!

Margie said...

Suzanne, I've just discovered that you're posting again! So happy to see you, my friend.

Tiffany said...

What a fun idea! I get a Bountiful Basket every week and sometimes it hard for me to know what to make, this is gonna help me tons!