Thursday, August 14, 2008

.smoked turkey and lentil soup.







This was a soup I made for Jim's birthday last week. Lentil soup is probably one of my favorites because it's so hearty. It was popular at the bakery and I am sure it will be popular in your home too.





I made a small pot of this. To feed a family of say 4+, you might want to add a little more than you see here.








Chop one shallot.








Chop 2 celery stalks.








Grate a carrot.



Chop some garlic. Don't use this much garlic! I needed some for something else. You're only going to need one large clove for this soup.

Pull the leaves off the stem of thyme. Chop. Use dried if you don't have fresh.


Cut up some smoked turkey. Set aside.



Heat a litle olive oil in a soup pot. Add the garlic, shallot, and thyme. Saute for a minute.

Add the carrot and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes.

Add 1 cup lentils. Saute for another couple minutes.


Add 4-6 cups chicken stock.



Add the smoked turkey.

Cover soup pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium low and let the lentils cook and soften. This will take about half hour.

Season well with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

heidigoseek said...

Looks great Suzanne! I think I might try this without turkey and using vegetable broth...vegetarian style:)
The weather has been so moderate here lately, I am definitely in the mood for soup.

Covered In Crafts said...

Hey girl! I love your blog!

Tonya tagged me and I had to pick 6 great blogs to tag back. You're one of them. TAG!! You're it. (instructions on my blog). Hope you play along too. :)

Kami @ Home of 5 said...

Elizabeth tagged me and I had to pick 6 great blogs to tag and yours is one of them! Instructions are on my blog - hope you play along. :)