Thursday, March 6, 2008

.bbq ribs to die for.




My dad makes FABULOUS ribs. We make our own bbq sauce (which you MUST DO! Don't cheat and buy store bought. Your family will thank you. Truussttt me. ;) ) and it's the secret behind these delicious ribs. I make my sauce a little different than dad. The master gave me 2 thumbs up though when he tried it when he and my mom visited at Christmas.



I use pork ribs, by the way. You could use beef ribs, but personally, I hate beef ribs because I feel like I don't get any meat! Use what you like to use.



We'll start by making the bbq sauce. You can make this the day before. You can make this a week before. I make a bunch and keep some in the fridge in a mason jar in case I ever feel like making ribs or something with bbq sauce at the last minute.




In a saucepan, heat a little olive oil. When hot, saute 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup diced onion and 1 bay leaf. Saute for a minute or two. Don't let it burn!














Add:

2 cups ketchup
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup honey
1 cup molasses
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp tabasco
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp celery seed



Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Let this cook down for a couple hours. You want the sauce to coat the back of a spoon.



Lay your ribs in a casserole dish and cover with bbq sauce. Cover the top tightly with foil.



Put in a 300* oven and bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours.












This is what the ribs will look like when they're done baking.


Drain the juice from the dish.



Preheat your bbq grill. Put some of the remaining bbq sauce in a bowl for basting.



Grill your ribs for only about 5 minutes. Baste between turns. You really only want to add grill markings and caramelize the bbq sauce on the outside. The ribs are cooked already so don't keep them on there too long otherwise you'll overcook them and they'll be dry.



Pull from the grill and serve!




Printable version:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_18fzpg4jf

2 comments:

Laura Davis said...

YUM!!! I love your blog cooking/baking is a serious passion of mine. I'll have to add you to my blog roll:)
Laura

Anonymous said...

Suz, yummy!!!! I'm adding this to my list to try!!! I love how you are showcasing the recipes with photos too!!!