Wednesday, May 14, 2008

.orange glazed halibut.




The other day I got an email requesting a fish dish. I had been wanting to try this recipe for some time and thought now would be a great time to test it. I really love when people request recipes because it gets me out of my rut and gets me to try new things.


It was a good opportunity. I have noticed we don't eat enough fish. Paige turns her nose up at it, but I have been able to get her to take some bites and expand her palatte a little. We have something called "Adventure Night" where I make something new. The rule is you must try 2 bites of everything. If you don't like it fine. Eat what you do like on the plate. We all have learned to like a lot of foods this way.



Take 3 oranges and juice them. This will give you 1/2 cup of liquid.










Peel another orange and using a paring knife, slice between the membrane cutting out each segment. Cut the orange slices into pieces.









Finely slice another orange. (This means you're going to need 5 oranges total)










Dice some onion. You need 1/4 cup.











In a bowl mix together 4 tsp cornstarch with 1/2 cup chicken stock. Make sure there aren't any lumps.









In a saucepan melt 3 Tbsp butter.











Saute the onion for a minute or two. Stir so you don't burn the onion.










Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp tarragon.











Add the orange juice. Bring to a boil.











While mixing, add the cornstarch/chicken stock. It will immediately start thickening. Don't let it go too long.









As soon as it coats the back of a spoon, remove from the heat.










Add the orange pieces and 1 tsp salt.











Look at this beautiful piece of halibut. I picked this up at Costco when I was there this weekend. I picked up Rainbow trout too!!! Love it. Rinse the fish with cold water and pat dry.








Put the fish in a baking dish and cover with the orange glaze. Layer your orange slices on top. Put in a 350* oven for 20 minutes.









Here's what it looks like after baking. This would be a great dish to serve for your husband's boss. It is really quite beautiful to look at and light on the palatte. I served this with wild rice pilaf.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_54c7m62mcq

4 comments:

Chris Dodaj said...

Suzanne, thanks so much for this recipe. I just might even try a bite of this! I'll let you know how my dh liked it!

thanks again!!

p.s. I'm making the carrot cake too!

Renee Camacho said...

Definitely stealing the idea for 'adventure night'. I generally don't have a hard time getting them to eat things, but I have chosen not to cook something just because I didn't think they'd all go for it. I think this might give me a bit of experimentation time. GREAT IDEA. AND that fish looks scrumptious. Definitely adding this to my list of need to cook items!

SplendidlyImperfect said...

I love the idea of Adventure Night. I'm going to have to remember that.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night Suzanne, but substituted the oranges, for raspberries (inspired by your chix recipe :) It was soooooo delightful xoxo