Sunday, July 6, 2008

.layered salad.

I had mentioned in my previous entry that I would post the recipe for my warm potato salad, but after looking over the images on my computer, I'm missing a lot of the steps because I was in such a hurry to get things done before the wedding.

I did get all the steps for this though. We can always count on my sister, Ronda to bring this salad to our family dinners. It's a favorite and so fast to make.


Chop one head of iceberg lettuce and put in a casserole dish.
Dice 2 roma tomatoes and sprinkle on top.
Chop some green onion and put on top of the tomatoes.
Open a can of sliced water chestnuts.
Carefully arrange on top of the salad. You want to make sure you'll get some with every bite.
Cut up some bacon and fry it. You will only need half of what you see here. I used the other half for my potato salad.
You're going to need about 1 cup of peas too. If you make this salad up ahead of time (like the night before or a few hours before), you can leave them frozen. If you plan on serving the salad immediately, then thaw these by putting them in a sieve and running under cold water.
Sprinkle the top with the bacon and peas.
In a bowl, put 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 tsp lemon juice.
Put globs of it on top of the salad and then use a spatula to spread it over the entire surface. This seals in the salad underneath and keeps it fresh.
Grate some cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top. This salad can be made the night before you need it. It holds up really well.

3 comments:

Mere said...

I can't wait to try and make this!! It looks fast and delicious!! Thanks for sharing!!

<3, Mere

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to ask. Does this taste really mayonnaisey? I've seen many recipes for layered salads like this, but have been afraid to try them. I really don't like mayonnaise and have a hard time eating anything that has too much of that flavor.

Thank you!

squillen said...

I don't think it tastes mayonnaisey. The garlic and paprika give it more of a dressing flavor.

I guess I could compare it to almost a coleslaw type dressing?