Wednesday, April 8, 2009

.strawberry wontons.


Today was a great day. I invited a couple girlfriends over for lunch and for scrapbooking. I met them over at 2Peas, and while I have gotten together with Deb quite a few times, I have only had email conversations with Denise. I had planned on making Santa Fe Chicken Salad for lunch, but while grocery shopping yesterday, I had a sudden craving for lettuce wraps.....




... and crab rangoon... (weak)



For dessert, I decided to make some deep fried strawberry wontons. What is a strawberry wonton, you ask? Oh my.... well, let me show you what it is!

In a bowl (this bowl looks really small in the picture, but it's not) mix together 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, a dash cinnamon, and about 1 cup finely diced strawberries.

While munching on these, we all decided that any kind of berry would be awesome in these. Raspberries. Blackberries.... we really aren't particular. They were so delicious!



Take won ton wrappers (usually found by the tofu products in your grocery store) and lay as many out as you need. This recipe will make almost 2 dozen. Spoon a little filling in the middle of each wrapper.

Crack open an egg and separate. We need the egg whites to act as glue.





Dip your finger in the egg white, and run it around all four sides of the won ton wrapper. Place another won ton wrapper on top and seal the edges well. Put a dab of egg white on the corners and then pinch the corners together (as seen in the picture).







Repeat until you've made all the filled won tons. Put them on a plate and stick in the freezer. You want to firm up the filling a bit before frying otherwise it will ooze out into your oil.








Heat your oil in a pot or wok to 350* F. Carefully add each won ton and fry until golden brown. Let drain well on paper towels.

Drizzle the tops with chocolate ganache (or you can use Hershey's syrup) and put a dollop of whipped cream on the side.

Serve warm (my friends said they're still pretty tasty cold too).
Printable version:

9 comments:

Diana H said...

Strawberry wontons look very delicious and so easy to make, my kind of recipe.

DebW said...

They were more than good..they were sinful!
Everyone in the world should be so lucky to have a friend who makes such a fab lunch and dessert to top it off!! I dreamed of strawberry won tons while I slept last night!

Jynx said...

They were wonderful---even cold---when I finally broke down and ate it!!! Don't tell my bariatric surgeon that I cheated!!!

Lisa Cole said...

I made these today and they were delicious! I think I added a few too many strawberries though, because the filling was runny... but delicious nonetheless. I am going to use raspberries for a baby shower next month :)

Ronda said...

Yummy, these sound so good!

Mrs. L said...

Now I'll have to tell my scrapbooking friends we have to have Strawberry Wontons the next time we scrap together!

Sandee West said...

You should seriously try out for "The Next Food Network Star"!!

Arlene said...

Oh, my word -- these sounds DIVINE! I will be bookmarking them and trying them out soon! :o)

sildenafil citrate said...

I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a strawberries lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, the strawberries taste is so delicious! Thanks for this great moment!