Wednesday, August 27, 2008

.clam chowder.


I have found that people either LOVE clam chowder, or they hate it with a passion. My sister, Marcia, doesn't like clam chowder, but she does like my chowder. It's that good. ;) The nice thing about soup is you can usually have it made and ready to eat within an hour. This recipe is just that and it is good.

I made cheddar muffins to go with them. Delicious. I added garlic powder to the recipe to give them a little more flavor and I cut back on the cheese. Yep... these will be a staple I think. If you are one of those people who is unsure about clam chowder, try this recipe. Maybe you'll become a convert. :)


Chop up one medium sized onion. (abt 1 cup)


Chop up 3 stalks of celery. (abt 1 cup)


Cut up 3 slices bacon.


Peel and cut into bite sized pieces, 6 white or yukon gold potatoes (abt 2 cups).


In a large soup pot, cook the bacon until halfway done. Add the potatoes, celery, and onion. Stir to coat the veggies.


Cook over medium heat until the potatoes start getting a glossy look, and the onions are almost translucent.


Add 4 cups chicken stock. You can probably see some large things in this picture. I didn't give my chicken stock time to thaw (I had some frozen) so I just stuck the whole thing in. Cover the pot with a lid and let cook for about 20 minutes. You need to cook it long enough for the potatoes to cook through.

Make sure you season well with salt and pepper.


In a bowl, put 2 cups milk and 1/4 cup flour.


Pour into the soup pot. If your flour/milk is lumpy, pour it through a sieve first. Kick the heat up a little so this will thicken. Once thick, remove from the heat.


You will need two cans minced clams. I like minced more than the regular because you don't get these huge pieces. It distributes better too when they're smaller. Drain the cans and add to the soup once it's thickened.


Add 1 Tbsp basil. Taste and reseason with salt and pepper. Let sit, covered, for another 5 minutes off the heat before serving. Enjoy!



Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_102dfcqj89v

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Now I am so hungry for clam chowder. Yum. It's been raining here too, and that puts me in the mood for soup and rolls. The cheddar muffins look yummy too.

heidigoseek said...

I remember making this with your for Catherine's shower. Yummy yum yum...
Marshall and I make clam chowder together a lot. It's a favorite around here!