Monday, April 7, 2008

.sweet potato croquettes.

In the previous entry for Asian infused grilled pork loin with mango salsa, I mentioned these sweet potato croquettes.

A croquette (pronounced crow-ket) is a small cake or ball of minced meat, poultry, fish, potato, or other food that is coated with beaten egg and bread crumbs then fried.


I've never made these before so I learned things a long the way that I will share with you in hopes that yours turn out even better than mine.



Start by cutting up some sweet potatoes (4) and put in a pot of water. Cook until soft. I left the skins on mine and once I strained the potatoes in a colander, I pulled the skins off.















Alton Brown is going to help me tell you the difference between a yam and sweet potato. I love him. Take a look.













Mash the sweet potatoes (2 cups) and add 2 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.



Make little patties with the mash.



Place on strips of wax paper, or parchment. Wrap with saran and put in the freezer. I didn't let mine freeze long enough and they were very gooey to work with. I highly suggest you let these freeze all day and even overnight. This will keep them from falling completely apart on you when you go to fry.

In a large bowl or pie plate, beat an egg. Coat each side of the sweet potato patty.



Then coat each side with bread crumbs. Plain. Not italian seasoned ones.



Carefully place in a pan of hot oil. You want enough oil to come halfway up the patty. Heat the oil to 375* for great frying.

When the bottom is nice and golden brown, turn over carefully. I had to use two spatulas to get these turned over without splashing hot grease everywhere.



When both sides are nice and golden brown, remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to soak up any lingering oil. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suz,
I love, love love sweet potatoes! These look very yummy. I wonder if baking the potatoes instead of boiling them would help make them more "sturdy"? I find that baking gives a great carmelized flavor that just can't be beat ;) I'll have to give these babies a try.
Heidi

Darleen said...

these look so yummy! I wanted to tell you how much WE love to watch Hell's Kitchen too!! I too hate all the bleeping! It makes me crazy, but it is one of my favorite reality shows!