Sunday, May 4, 2008

.beef stroganoff.



My husband is a big Beef Stroganoff lover. I started making this when we first married 15 years ago and it has been a consistent meal on my menu. Normally I make this with cut up sirloin, but I was in a rush and was making this for a family at church and didn't have time to run off to the store to buy steak. Plus, it's a little more cost effective using hamburger. Go with what you like. Either way it's quick and delicious.

The ingredients you need are:

  • 1 1/2 lbs hamburger
  • egg noodles
  • 2 cans mushroom soup
  • 1 carton sour cream
  • 1 small onion
  • garlic
  • bay leaf
  • sage
  • mushrooms
  • milk
  • parsley
  • salt and pepper




Start off by putting a pot of water on to boil with some salt. When it comes to a boil, add your egg noodles (I used the whole bag in this case, but normally I only use about 1/2 the bag). Cook according to the directions on the package. When done, drain in a colander.



Dice one small onion. I really love my Pampered Chef food chopper when I don't need a uniform dice. Makes quick work and minimal tears.


Mince up 2 garlic cloves too while you're at it. I didn't get a shot of it, but by now, I'm confident you know how to do it.




Chop up about 1 1/2 cups mushrooms. These are baby portabello mushrooms but really any mushroom will work. These were what I had in the fridge.








Fry up the hamburger. Add a bay leaf as you fry to infuse the flavor into the meat as it cooks.










Add 1 tsp ground sage. Mix all around.











When the hamburger is halfway done, add the onion and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes.










Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms are nice and soft. Season with salt and pepper.









Add 1/2 cup burgundy. Cook on medium high for a few minutes to cook down the wine. We just want the flavor here folks.. not the alcohol.









Crack open two cans Cream of Mushroom soup. Spoon into the hamburger. Reduce heat to low because we don't want any of the cream sauce (read: soup and milk) to burn on the bottom of the pan.








Add 1 can full of milk. Mix everything together.











Dump in your cooked egg noodles. Mix well to coat all the noodles.










This dish can look very boring so to give it some life, I added 1/4 cup chopped parsley.










You want to remove the pan entirely from the burner for this step.

Add 1 container of sour cream and mix in well. The reason why you want to do this off the heat is we don't want to cook the sour cream because it will curdle. We just want it to heat up from the heat of the noodles and meat and soup. You can add as much or as little sour cream as you want. Since this was a humongus amount of stroganoff, I used the whole thing but really.. go by your personal preference. Re-season with salt and pepper to taste.

Plate up and serve with your favorite veggie, or salad, and some rolls.

Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg2vfjqm_46hq46kbcg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your recipe looks very interesting. I like the fact that you have included photos from various stages of preparation!

I have linked to your blog post from The Beef Stroganoff Pantry, a Squidoo lens devoted to Beef Stroganoff. Hope that's OK with you.


Regards,


Mark

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I can't wait to try this!
Thanks!

cindyMN said...

This is basically the same way I make my stroganoff, I always use hambuger, but I don't mix the noodles with the hamburger soup mix. We serve that over the noodles, then everyone can choose how much sauce they want. I have one kid that never liked the sauce, only the noodles, and just a bit of sauce on top.

phosphorus sky said...

Hello Suzanne, I recently found your blog while searching for beef stroganoff recipes. I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post the recipe and photos. I made this dish last night, and was quite pleased. It called for few ingredients and was easy to prepare. I used bowtie noodles =)

I live alone and so I have lots of leftovers but I love dishes such as this that I can eat on for a few days.

Thanks again, I look forward to trying more of your recipes.

Wholesale hip hop clothing said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
I love to eat food...
thanks for giving such precious information........