Thursday, July 30, 2009

Apple Fennel Slaw


While visiting my family in Seattle, we had many dinners and bbqs. Two days after our arrival, we went to Music in the Park and the plan was for us to bring a dish or two to share. I've been wanting to try fennel slaw for some time now. In fact, I had been planning on doing a big 4th of July segment here on my blog with summer/bbq type recipes, but it never happened.

We'll put the past behind us and move forward, shall we?

So for Music in the Park, I made peach cobbler, a roasted beet salad, and this... apple fennel slaw. I know it sounds like a strange combination but holy cow it was SO good. I encouraged my skeptical family members to try the slaw and they loved it, even though they took that first bite with much trepidation. (Suzanne would never steer you wrong!!!!!!)

Not only is this salad delicious and refreshing, it's very very quick to make. Here's how it's done.

In a large bowl, put:

2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced
2 granny smith apples, cut into matchsticks
1 carrot, grated

In another bowl, put:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
a shake of garlic powder
a shake of celery seed
2 Tbsp rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
the juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tbsp lemon juice)
and 1 Tbsp sugar

Mix all the dressing ingredients together and taste. It should be slightly sweet so if it's not, add a little more sugar to balance the acidity of the vinegar and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the dressing on top of the slaw and mix together well. If you want to get fancy with it, garnish the top with some of the fennel frond. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.

The perfect side dish for a summer bbq! Enjoy!


Printable version:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZ-Z_fQXybIkZGcydmZqcW1fMTYxZ2g2bjdrazk&hl=en

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Shoot, we were in Seattle too. (Now back in Dubai) One of these times we're going to run into each other. :) This recipe looks utterly refreshing and yummy.

Catherine said...

So glad you're back! I've never used fennel, but I might just try it!

Al Malekoivc said...

Hi Suzanne: I could not find you email address, so I hopw you don't mind me leaving the message here. My name is Al Malekovic (al@countrybobs.com) and I represent a very, very small company called Country Bob's, Inc. We are making a great sauce called, "Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce" and we would like to get the word out about our product.
I know that review blogs are a great way to get information to the general public. I conducted a google search for food blogs and your name came and after looking at your blog, I was wondering if you would be interested in trying my sauce and perhaps reviewing it for me.

If you send me your name and address via e-mail, I would gladly send you a recipe brochure along with two bottles of Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce in hopes that you would write a review.

If you would like more information, I would be glad to respond to any questions you might have. In fact, if you are interested in interviewing me after you've sampled the product, I would gladly make myself available!

Thank you for your consideration. www.countrybobs.com We also have two two bottle give a ways for your blog.