Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cheese Blintz



Happy Summer! I have been so bad about updating and will try to keep posting new things as often as I possibly can. I haven't posted this yet, but guess what? I'M GOING TO CULINARY SCHOOL! I was accepted to The Culinary Institute of America and will start classes October 20th! I should have some awesome things to post once I start. I can't WAIT!



The girls and I were in Seattle visiting my family most of July. We just got back a few days ago and are slowly trying to re-adjust to East Coast time. Not easy my friends.. not easy. Thankfully, we have no commitments so we can sleep late. While I was there, I made crazy amounts of food for my family. I think they're going to miss my cooking more than me! (Okay, maybe not.)



A few days before we flew back East, my oldest sister, with whom I was staying, made cheese blintzes. They were *SO* good with some fresh berries and a yummy cream cheese/cottage cheese filling. She found the recipe here, but I will post it on my blog for convenience sake. I'm definitely going to make these... probably for my husband's birthday next week! He'll love that.



Keep your eyes peeled for some new things coming your way! Hope you all have a wonderful summer.



Suzanne



Cheese Blintzes


Crepe Batter

1 cup flour

2 Tbsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1 large egg

1 cup milk

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1/4 tsp vanilla



Cheese filling

2 cups cottage cheese

3 oz cream cheese

2 Tbsp sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla




  • Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Mix together until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Let the batter rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. It can be held in the fridge for up to 12 hours.


  • Heat a crepe pan or small skillet over medium heat. You don't want the heat too hot. Brush the pan with melted butter (or use Pam spray). pour a cup of batter into the crepe pan and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan. Cook the first side until it's set (about 2 minutes, then using a rubber spatula, loosen the edges and flip it over. Cook the other side for another minute. Remove from pan and repeat until all the batter has been cooked up.


  • Spoon some filling down the center of the crepe, roll up, and top with fresh whipped cream and fruit. You can use whatever fruit you like. We had blueberries and strawberries on hand but you can use cherries, peaches, or apples. Yummy!



Thanks Ronda for such a great time and for letting the girls and I stay at your place. Love you!

10 comments:

Rene said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! If I wasn't a geologist I would go to culinary school as well. I am so happy for you!!

Darlene said...

I'm so glad your blog is back! I have missed it. Congrats on the CIA!!

Kristine said...

Wow congratulations!!! You'll do amazing I'm sure! I have also been one who has missed your blog :) Welcome back! And these cheese blintz look divine!

Twisted Chicken said...

Congrats on the CIA! You're in for quite an adventure. I'm looking forward to more great posts.

Shirley said...

Congratulations again on school! And I only had a sampling of your talents but YUMMO!

Colleen said...

congtulations, and so glad you are back! the blintzes look amazing!

linda said...

I am so glad that your blog is back, looking forward to more great recipes.. Also congrats on Culinary School that is so AWESOME..

Natalie said...

I'm very excited for you that you get to go to culinary school! What a wonderful new adventure.

And yes, these look very, very naughtily delicious. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

WOW Squillen! Congrats on the Culinary school!! That is wonderful and I am sure you will love it and be at the top of your class!!! Way to go girl. I have also missed your blog food recipes updates. Thanks for this one for the cheese blintz....one of my son's and my favorites!!! I have never had the courage to make them...and think now I will try with your recipe. We missed you and the girls. Welcome back! Manateelover

6jardines said...

I have a question - the filling calls for egg...but you do not cook the filling...correct?

thanks!