Friday, November 8, 2013

Pre-Thanksgiving: Roasted Green Beans

 
 
Gone are the days of steaming vegetables in this house.  When I was young, my mom would put things in a pot and cook them in some water until they cooked through.  Corn, peas, beans, etc., leaving the vegetables soggy, sad, and almost flavorless.  I admit when I first got married and started cooking for my husband, I did this too - for a long time, actually.  A friend had mentioned roasting broccoli in the oven, so I thought to myself, "Self!  Let's try it!"  And I did and I have been a changed woman ever since.  I roast broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans... you name it!  Roasting vegetables in the oven brings out a whole new flavor - pure deliciousness.
 
Green bean casserole seems to be the norm on many Thanksgiving day dinner tables.  I have never seen the point in taking something that's supposed to be healthy and turning it into a fat and carb laden dish.  Granted, I do put bacon in this, but it's a meat.. right?  So good.  So good.  You'll never do that casserole stuff again!  Here's how you do it:
 
Approx. 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
5-6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
2-3 shallots, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper

Fry up the bacon and drain on paper towels.  Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss well to coat the beans with some olive oil.  Spread on a cookie sheet and roast at 350* until the green beans are cooked through.  Spoon into a serving dish.  Eat warm.


**NOTE:  If you're roasting the turkey and making sides (including this one), put all of the sides in once the turkey has cooked.  I said in my last Pre-Turkey Dinner post to let your turkey rest for at least 30 minutes.  Well, you'll probably need 45 minutes to an hour for these which is fine.  Just put some foil on your turkey and keep it on the stovetop so it stays warm.  Trust me -- even after an hour, the turkey is still hot but won't burn your fingers when you go to carve it.  Enjoy!

No comments: